PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for upcoming trip

kylgrn
10-24-2014, 10:04 AM
The opportunity doesn't present itself but a couple times a year, the rare hall pass to escape the chores and weekend obligations and escape to better waters for 3-4 days. Next month I plan to get away for a Thursday-Sunday trip with hopes of even hooking a steel head on the swing. I'm a bit new to this game, so i'm looking for some opinions on where one would go in the month of November if they wanted to swing for steelhead.

So far it's between the trinity, klamath, and rogue (not sure between middle and upper?). I can't afford a guide because I spent all my fishing money in Montana. Thanks for any recommendations, i'm somewhat familiar with the Trinity and the upper Rogue, never fished the Klamath.

-Kyle

Rmacneil656
10-24-2014, 10:46 AM
The opportunity doesn't present itself but a couple times a year, the rare hall pass to escape the chores and weekend obligations and escape to better waters for 3-4 days. Next month I plan to get away for a Thursday-Sunday trip with hopes of even hooking a steel head on the swing. I'm a bit new to this game, so i'm looking for some opinions on where one would go in the month of November if they wanted to swing for steelhead.

So far it's between the trinity, klamath, and rogue (not sure between middle and upper?). I can't afford a guide because I spent all my fishing money in Montana. Thanks for any recommendations, i'm somewhat familiar with the Trinity and the upper Rogue, never fished the Klamath.

-Kyle

Hey Kyle,
I'm pretty new to the swing (as this has been my first dedicated season to swing. I love the Trinity, but hear great things abput the Rouge our of the Medford area, and have heard great things about the Klamath.

Alot of what I have done so far is target a system when conditions are optimal. I after spending 3 days on the Trinity this season I can say that I've been becomming more familiar with its good water. Im making another trip this sunday and monday as imo those will be optimal times to be on the water if the river dosen't blow out.

If you decide on the Trinity I can offer you a bit of advise ( although that does not come with a fish guarantee). Addtionally if you decide you need an addtional angler for the Trinity or exploring another river on the swing I would be happy to fill that spot and explore some new waters.

kylgrn
10-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Totally, I have seen your invitations to possibly meet up and do some fishing, as someone who has primarily fished alone the last 8 years I would love some company. I visit the Williams area about every other weekend, I've gotten up to the trinity about 3 times thus far. I was lucky enough each time to find some great water, even though It was much of a gamble since I couldn't see anything from the road at 530AM! The one thing I found with the Trinity was my spey casting had to be much more accurate than fishing the big american river, so many tight windows and overhanging trees!

Weather is a great reminder, I will have to keep that in mind, I'm avoiding making accommodation reservations for that reason, I can change my mind along the way.

Rmacneil656
10-24-2014, 12:49 PM
For Spey casting I like fishing the Trinity below the north fork, the river opens up more to wading and casting. The top can be hard as it really narrows out and there is a ton of brush and overhang. Even if we dont hook up for some fishing I would love to hear how you do, especially if you go for the klamath or rouge as I no very little about those systems.

Rick J
10-24-2014, 12:58 PM
much is weather dependent - you should try to get river gage information and check flows - The Rogue is great but a lot less bank access than the Trinity or the Klamath and both have had really good fishing the last several weeks. My friend just got back from th upper Klamath a bit down from I 5 and it was awesome - Highway 96 gives you tons of river access to the Klamath upstream from Witchpec - it is a bigger river by far than the T but still very fishable at "typical flows". Good water and access along the T as well but likely more chance of running into competition I think than on the K. Just watch the rain forecast and watch the gages - rising gages typically are not great

NCL
10-25-2014, 06:35 AM
That one is a tough call. I have fished the Rogue but it was with a guide on the upper part near Shady Grove so I am not sure about access. I have a friend that guides the Rogue and he says November is a good month to fish. I have never fished the Klamath due to not being able to drive past the Trinity. I have fished the Trinity from Lewiston to Willow Creek and would totally agree with the above statement that if you are going to swing that from the North Fork down there is better water to fish. There are a few places up higher that a swing/spey rod can be used but I find it easier to just use my single hand rod if I stay above Junction City. I guess this is the long way around to say I would pick the Trinity with the restriction of not being able to use a guide.

JasonB
10-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Bank access on the upper Rogue is pretty easy really, and there is a fair bit of access on the middle as well. The best parts of that river aesthetically though are down lower, where access is not so great without a boat. November probably would have more fish up in the higher reaches, but I really prefer fishing down lower when I can. I would think November would be pretty much prime time on the Trinity. Pretty hard to beat, and a shorter drive than any of the other options for that time frame...
JB

kylgrn
10-25-2014, 08:39 AM
With the Trinity around mid November, are the lower reaches still a good bet or have most the fish moved to the middle/upper reaches? It looks like I might be going to the Trinity, which is good because i'm just starting to explore more and more of its waters. I'm looking at staying and fishing either above or below Willow Creek as most people say it's more friendly to swinging flies down there.

NCL
10-26-2014, 05:05 AM
Yes, there should be fish around in the Lower Trinity in mid November or at least I have caught/hooked adults then. Last year we got adults the first week of December below the south fork so you should be OK during that time period. I usually start fishing the Upper Trinity by mid November just because it is a closer drive for me but then I try to go at least once or twice a week

kylgrn
10-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Very cool, thanks all for the input.