PDA

View Full Version : Vector - NFF

Baja Fly Fisher
10-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Has anyone made a vector file? Actually what is a vector file. I'm working on the rooster sketch but need to have it in a vector format. So I started reading about it and asked the company that is going to produce my hats with the rooster head logo. They told me that they would take the dorsal, eye, fins, body with mouth and make separate sketches, not exactly the teminology they used. So it sounds like they cut up the sketch into sections then reassemble the sketch.
Question: do they redraw the sketch using on the parts. One thing I was told that I had too much detail in my sketch of the rooster - ie: scales... I don't need the scales, just a plain body color, fins, dorsal, eye

I'm looking into PS too see you can do vectoring

so how hard can this be

Thanks

Jay

FISHEYE
10-16-2014, 05:48 PM
I say f*** it. Go fishing.

Tony P
10-16-2014, 11:15 PM
http://vectormagic.com/home

Baja Fly Fisher
10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks Tony,
I'm looking at it right now, seems kinda easy but. Right now I waiting to hear back
from the company on what it's going to cost for them to make a vector file.
Or maybe I'll have this company create a vector file

Jay

SeanO
10-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Adobe Illustrator ($$$)

Inkscape (free)

JohnD
10-21-2014, 10:26 AM
A vector file is one that maintains the lines/strokes/polygons. A pdf can be a vector file. Adobe Illustrator AI files are vectors. This is opposed to a raster file which is series of pixels with a color value, like a jpeg or tif.
What program are you producing your artwork in?

Baja Fly Fisher
10-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Right now I have a couple people working on my project. I'm not smart enough and not enough time to figure this thing out.
It's easier to pay someone who knows what they are doing

Jay

JohnD
10-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Sorry, my point was that it's likely being created in a program that can easily export out a file in vector format.
I would just ask whoever is designing it if they would export out a copy as an .pdf .eps .ai or any of the other vector formats that you could deliver to the printer.

Baja Fly Fisher
10-21-2014, 03:43 PM
One person will be sending me a completed PDF file. I downloaded a couple free programs but sitting here trying to figure the thing out and coming up short.

JohnD
10-22-2014, 10:51 AM
If they send you a pdf it's quite likely that it will be a vector file. That means that your printer/embroiderer will be able to select out the layers they want to run separately without you having to do anything.