PDA

View Full Version : Novice - American River Help Please

Taribor
10-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Hi folks, I have been fishing above the dam (salmon falls bridge area) with a beat up 5 wt rod and was getting pretty good for the past year, then got bit by the salmon and steelhead bug, and have been trying my luck on the lower American.

I got a switch rod setup from Kiene's. End up there once a week and they are always fantastic to me but I feel kinda bad cornering them with rookie questions (they are always helpful and graciously take the time though) so I was hoping for some help here.

I have an 8wt switch rod and just want to catch a fish. My two handed casting has gotten decent, so I can get it out there. Trying for salmon on the fly seems like a lottery for my skill level more than anything else but I though for sure I would get a small steelhead at sailor bar or sunrise by now, but not even a nibble, and I've been out probably a dozen times.

For those of you who are successful, would you mind sharing some tips,setups, etc? Many say "nymph" but what distance on the indicator, who much weight, etc are some of the variables I am probably screwing up.

I know a guide is the best way to lern, and I am heading out with one next week, but I was hoping to get lucky this weekend. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

JasonB
10-08-2014, 09:00 PM
That's a lot of variables you've introduced into the equation. One big suggestion I would give is to seriously question what's most important to you. You say "I just want to catch a fish", but salmon and steelhead fishing is not exactly the best for numbers; especially fly fishing you can spend a lot of time casting and casting and casting without a bite. You could be pounding water that has no fish in it, you could be pounding water that has fish that are spooked/put down/lockjawed/uninterested, you could be fishing something too big and/or flashy, or perhaps your fly is too small and drab to really get one to move for it... etc, etc. You can kind of go crazy trying to chase down every possible variable and constantly changing this and that.

My own take away on all this is that I find spey casting really enjoyable, and swinging flies keeps me actively engaged in presenting my fly cast after cast, run after run, day after day until I get that lucky grab... whereupon I still suffer from a kneejerk hookset that ends the encounter prematurely. I have always heard that nymphing can be far more productive, but I can only spend so many hours watching the indicator go by without a bite, so I never really stuck with that method long enough to have any success. Not to convince you of one method being superior, just giving you some things to consider. Either method you choose, I would focus on that method for a while to work out the kinks and nail down what works for you and what doesn't.

Try to minimize a lot of variables, so that you can focus on one or two at a time, bearing in mind that there is indeed a lot of luck involved. Having a fly in the right place at the right time can produce, having the best of flies presented perfectly will help, but only if there is a reasonably active fish there to notice. Stick with it long enough and it will happen, but do be aware that it will test your patience again and again and again.
Best of luck,
JB

cmcdhuibh
10-08-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm right there with you. I've spent some time on the AR. I was there this evening slipped and fell in, It has way more current than it looks. I have hooked up a few times in the past, but have spent days at it without any thing (sore shoulder) I'm new at the fast water and it will get a little frustrating, but love the scenery and just being out there. I've used nymphs (weighted), copper johns, elk hair caddis and red san juan worms. I haven't gone after the salmon. This is the first time going for the "1/2 ponders" this time of year.
Salmon falls producing?
Maybe we will both get some help.

Taribor
10-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys......with stream trout I was ok; throw the word "Steelhead" out there and I probably started over-thinking it quite a bit.

cms - I always have luck up there but you have to hike over the rocks a bit to get up river (ok kayak in higher water), but that's part of the fun for me. I catch some bass up there on buggers and got a few fingerlings two weeks ago, but in 95+ weather and low flows, i'll take it. The pools have been hard to fish with the hot temps but the rapids are still fun for me. In cooler weather/higher water, I get can usually catch 16"+ trout and/or spotted bass every trip.

In this weather, with the waters so low and clear it's actually been pretty fun visually, to strip back a fly and watch a small bass ten feet away come chase, and attack the hell out it.

JasonB
10-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Hey Taribor,
You would probably get some better help if you let us all know a bit more info: what flies are you fishing, what line, leader, etc. Presentation techniques, attempts, or goals? Would be happy to share what meager knowledge I have, as would plenty of others here with a lot more knowledge than I...

Are you specifically targeting steelhead, or salmon?
Cheers,
JB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Fish early or late in the day if it is sunny.

First two hours and last two hours.

Start at the top of a run, cast across and down stream, point your tip at the fly, let it swing all the through straight below you with out retrieving any line, then take 4 steps down stream and repeat.

Floating line, 9 tapered leader to 2x with #12 wet fly.

Sounds like the fish are up river from Goethe Park/River Bend Park to the dam.

Try a fast sinking 10 foot Poly or Versi leader on the end of your floating line with a 4 foot tippet of 2x late morning, mid-day or early evening.

Taribor
10-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Fish early or late in the day if it is sunny.

First two hours and last two hours.

Start at the top of a run, cast across and down stream, point your tip at the fly, let it swing all the through straight below you with out retrieving any line, then take 4 steps down stream and repeat.

Floating line, 9 tapered leader to 2x with #12 wet fly.

Sounds like the fish are up river from Goethe Park/River Bend Park to the dam.

Try a fast sinking 10 foot Poly or Versi leader on the end of your floating line with a 4 foot tippet of 2x late morning, mid-day or early evening.

Thanks, Bill. That was part of my problem, I was throwing a wet fly straight across the river rather than angling down steam. A bigger (and embarrassing) problem is I was using a pretty huge fly size w/out realizing I am early for the winter run. I stopped in today and your guys set me up with some smaller flies to try out. I am hoping to take the kayak out first thing tomorrow to that little island just west of the sailor bar mob........this is anniversary weekend though so for my personal safety from my wife, it will be a short outing.

Jason - I am all over the map with the switch rod and added casting power so I am still kinda playing around with everything, which is part of my problem. I am going to stick with swinging flies for awhile.

I finally got a pair of boots and waders from Kiene's this week, i was used to sloshing around the upper river in shorts and shoes but it wasn't cutting it below the damn. First lesson was yesterday, I came across from sailor bar and walked downstream thinking how easy it was to fish in the middle of the river due to the low flow, and wound up quite a ways down......walking back against the current was a different story....

Taribor
10-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Well I guess patience pays off, I had six on the line today on the American. Struck out swinging flies so started nymphing, and started to get fish immediately. I'm not a big picture guy and like to avoid talking fish out of the water if possible but I did get a shot.......not a monster but hey, I'll take it!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-11-2014, 08:54 AM
To convert to swinging SH methods:

In the Fall I recommend swinging flies on a floating line for a few hours in the morning and evening, then try deep indo nymphing in the day time.

* One of the best old Steelheaders I know, Walt Bennett, told me a lot of things about Steelheading over the past 50 years that I spent around him.

One of those tidbits was when ever the Steelhead fishing was really good you could 'usually' see some fish showing or rolling in the surface, especially early and late in the day.

Another tip was when the good roe fishermen are getting skunked, it is time to pack it up and go home or to some other river.

If you just keep going to good rivers at prime time you will eventually hit it big.

Keeping you leader and knots in good shape and your hooks sharp are a few things that will ad up to being more successful too.

I think the Klamath River is the best bet we have for catching Steelhead swinging flies.

I was discussing timing on the Klamath with one of my mentors, Al Perryman, and we think Sept, Oct and Nov are good month to be on that river.

I think for an annual week long trip around the mid-river in October is a good plan.

Another of Kiene's Klamath River experts, Noe Fierros, goes for about 3-4 days in September, 3-4 days in October and 3-4 days in November, all around Orleans. He has been doing this for about 30 years now.

amoeba
10-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Well I guess patience pays off, I had six on the line today on the American. Struck out swinging flies so started nymphing, and started to get fish immediately. I'm not a big picture guy and like to avoid talking fish out of the water if possible but I did get a shot.......not a monster but hey, I'll take it!

I was going to say do what you are doing; focus more on nymphing naturals than swinging in the AR. In a month, bring some glo-bugs or beads and fish near the hatchery; just look for other fishermen. There are some larger ocean fish that will come in, rain will help the fish/fishing situation, but there still will better action later in the year when the salmon spawn.