PDA

View Full Version : Lower Yuba report

Bob Loblaw
10-01-2014, 09:01 AM
I fished the lower Yuba below the bridge on Monday. I drove a couple of miles downstream to the washed out section of road and fished that run most of the day. Good news is that the salmon are in and are busy making baby salmon. I spotted about a dozen large fish on a redd and they were swimming past me all day on their journey upstream. The bad news is that the hillbilly snaggers were out in force. I ran into two guys who were pretending to be panning for gold down by the narrow section below the run. Who pans for god with large landing nets? Another couple pulled up behind me later in the day as I was leaving and were asking about the fishing. They also had large landing nets in their van. I told them it was lousy and there was a DFG warden sniffing around.

I caught a couple of nice fish early on egg patterns, but that went dead in the middle of the day. Caught a couple on hoppers when the sun was high on the water and later in the day I caught a couple on prince nymphs.

The water was as low as I've ever seen it and gin clear. The only place the fish were biting was in the really fast water.

I called the Cal Tip line as soon as I got back into cell range.

bigfly
10-01-2014, 09:47 AM
If you want a neat experience, go at midnight.......
There are large short-winged stones emerging in numbers.
Salmon jumping in the darkness too.
Fish rising at dawn too.....

Jim

Ted S.
10-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Nice looking fish!

T.

P.S. Hopefully, DFW caught up with those peckerwood snaggers and confiscated their banjos...

Bob Loblaw
10-01-2014, 01:41 PM
I shot this video. I was standing in some fast water at the head of a riffle and as you can see, halfway through something bad happened. I had two rods between my legs and didn't have the most stable platform...of course I lost my balance, both rods took off down stream. I dropped my phone to go after them and very luckily I grabbed them both before they were out of reach and when I turned around the phone was right at my feet. Otter boxes work great too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blE0EaBVPL8&feature=youtu.be

mattv-mcfly
10-01-2014, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the report. I was out two weekends ago and did pretty well on nymphs. Didn't see any salmon when I was there but its good to know that they're around.
Blah I hate snaggers. Camping in a run all day taking it away from legit anglers. I hope karma catches up to them.
Here's something to try midday when the trout aren't taking...
Explore the ponds around the goldfields. Certain ponds are loaded with 10''+ bluegills and 14''+ LM bass that have never seen a fly.

bigfly
10-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Bob, I'd bet there is a focus knob on that camera.......

Jim

Bob Loblaw
10-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Bob, I'd bet there is a focus knob on that camera.......

Jim

I bet there is too....but it was an I-phone and I had the sun behind me and the screen was just a black rectangle, so I had to guess what it was looking at and if it was in focus...not to mention I was standing in fast water with one hand on the phone, the other on my wading staff, and I had two rods wedged between my legs. Apart from that the conditions were perfect for a beautifully framed and focused shot. My bad for messing it up. ;)

bigfly
10-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I bet there is too....but it was an I-phone and I had the sun behind me and the screen was just a black rectangle, so I had to guess what it was looking at and if it was in focus...not to mention I was standing in fast water with one hand on the phone, the other on my wading staff, and I had two rods wedged between my legs. Apart from that the conditions were perfect for a beautifully framed and focused shot. My bad for messing it up.

OK........
In that case, I appreciate you risking life limb and property to get the shot....

So did anyone get out for the emergence at midnight? Stones everywhere...

Jim