PDA

View Full Version : Klamath ITFN trout

njbeast
09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello all,
Just got back from a week of trout fishing on the last seven miles of the Klamath River before it enters Oregon. If you recall this is the area where the big fire burned down from Oregon a couple of weeks ago. We (as a group) are all retired cops who have been making this trip for 25 years. The trip is usually in the middle to end of October, but this year we went at the end of September. Lots of fish in the 12-14 inch range which was a disappointment; later in the year the bruisers come out.

My friend and I were the only ones to drift the river in our Scadden pontoon boats. Great fun, especially when the releases from the JC Boyle dam in Oregon hit about 11o'clock. All other fishing was done by wading from the seven access points along the river. Most of my trout came on a 5wt with floating line and a furled leader. The most productive flies were Prince nymphs and several of my own design, as long as it was green.

This is a photo of my buddy Mark Gordillo with the Big fish of the trip 18" rainbow on a Prince nymph.

John H
10-01-2014, 05:38 PM
NJ - Looks like a good time. You don't see many reports from that part of the Klamath. I have heard about the flow fluctuations there. I fished Lee's Ferry about 10 years ago and when they ramped up for power the river rose 2 to 3 feet and the fishing was done for the day.