PDA

View Full Version : Deer Creek questions

tcorfey
09-27-2014, 03:33 PM
I am planning to go up and try Deer Creek in October. Never fished it before and don't have much in the way of fishing reports wondering best rod(s) to use. I am thinking 3wt but is this more dry fly fishing or nymphing water? Maybe an even split? Is a longer rod (9') recommended or shorter (6')? I also do not know whether to fish the stocked section above the falls or the wild trout section below the falls any thoughts? Area to fish may affect rod selection and method of fishing also. General info is great but if you want to PM me that is fine too.

Thanks in advance for any insights. Tim C.

dude02
09-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Here is a link to a recent update on Deer Creek from Fish First out of Chico.

http://www.fishfirst.com/whandwn_current.html

wineslob
09-29-2014, 02:00 PM
If you are doing C&R only the barb-less area below the old Deer Creek CG should be almost "wild". I don't think it gets hit much anymore. In the sections actually along Hwy 32 it gets fished pretty hard.

tcorfey
10-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Okay, so we fished Friday through Sunday and had a great time. Beautiful water a few trout, good food and great camaraderie. All was not perfect though as my 8'6" 4-weight Bamboo rod got stolen out of the back of my truck when I stopped for fuel on the way up and had to run in to the store for a receipt. But, luckily my other rods were well hidden. If you see a 2 piece flamed bamboo rod with my name on it (as I built it) please let me know. it has black wraps and gun metal guides with black/silver rings over a burled rod seat. It was in a white PVC tube about 4' long.

Back to fishing. My buddy and I nymphed the lower section first for some smaller fish in the 6-8" range and then slowly worked our way up. Never got anything larger than about 10-11". Used bh prince nymphs, orange and yellow stimulators and droppers in PT and black midges. Also some EH Caddis and BH caddis pupa scored some fish. Lost about a dozen flies under the rocks. But got some nice little fish so it was worth it. My buddy tried some mercer GS flies and I tried a hares ear dropper but, they did not do as well as the other droppers we used. Got a few on a parachute ant in the mid afternoon. Water temp was in the mid 50's early morning. Nights were a bit chilly. Overall it was nice to get away for the weekend, we really moved along quickly so my legs are quite sore and my chest hurts from landing on a big rock when I took a spill. My buddy also took a swim in a deep pool while trying to get a fly back but it's all in fun. I fished a 8' 3 weight Sage most of the time and my buddy was fishing a 9' 3 weight Sage he got more nymphing than I did, so I think that extra foot of rod helps.

By the way just in case I filled out my steelhead card every day.

Update: I got my rod back. A guy found it in the back of the garage undamaged. Very cool.

steveg137
10-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks for report. Great news about your rod, was about to write to say how sad it is that opportunists are out there and that desperate to do that. Not sure what happened to it, guess low life stashed it to pick up later?! Anyway glad u got it back.

tcorfey
10-17-2014, 08:04 PM
I have no idea what happened but I assume the same. It was a 4.5' white pvc tube so I guess the thief stashed it to come back after dark. I feel very lucky to get it back.

I should note that I went back to every place I had been that day because I had a nagging suspicion that all was not lost. The guy at the garage said he hoped nobody would claim it cause it looked like a nice rod....