PDA

View Full Version : Cabo San Lucas Guide Rec

chixnribs
09-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Heading to Cabo for Thanksgiving and planning on a day or two on the water. Any recommendations for a legit fly guide in the area? (I know...hurricane....)

Darian
09-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Try Grant Hartman, Baja Anglers On-Line. Website:

www.baja-anglers.com/

Hope you have a good trip.... :cool:

chixnribs
09-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks Darian!

chixnribs
12-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Just returned from a week in Cabo with the family. Got two days on the water. The weather was perfect and the fishing was fair. We wrestled up a few dorado, wahoo, bonita and yellow fin with (missed!) opportunities for a striped marlin and a sailfish. For anyone heading that direction and looking for some advice, here are my thoughts. 1) Don't book any trips until you go down; you'll get a much better price on the marina. 2) Everyone is selling fishing trips- spend some time talking to different captains to see who you like. 3) Check out the exact boat you will be on and if possible, look at their gear. There is a lot of "bait and switch" that happens. 4) Everyone will tell you they know how to manage fly fishermen. Not true! There are a few boats with "Fly Fishing" written on them or on their banners. These are the guys you want to talk to. 5) Take the panga as opposed to the cruiser. The sound and smell of diesel engines is way worse than the mild limitations of a smaller, quieter outboard. 6) Get your license the day before you get on the boat. It'll save you money ($12/day v. $20) and time waiting in line for all the other fishermen who didn't get theirs. 7) There is a small shop on the marina that sells coffee/beer/sandwiches/beer/snacks/beer. They open at 5:00. 7) The captain will tell you to meet at 6:30. Go early and try to get to the bait boat first- you'll get better fish and be on the water first. 8) And very important! Be specific about everything you want and expect to get, or you be "upsold" (AKA scammed) by everyone there.

The best guy I found was Juan at cabo-fishing for fly fishing. He knows what he's doing. http://www.cabo-fishing.net/