PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead season part 2 has started

cyama
09-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Well the spring run was pretty awesome on the Feather this year. I am glad most people don't even know about it. Swinging caddis with a spey is something all should experience!!
Went to the Yuba today and didn't see a single salmon at any of the good spots. Headed over to the other river close by and had some fun with half pounders. Went 2 for 3 in about two hours. Wild fish on a hatchery river is super fun!!

SeanO
09-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Good looking Rainbows!

Congrats,

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2014, 08:13 AM
I don't think that the Lower Feather River gets as much year round pressure as the Lower Yuba River (mostly trout) and the Lower American River.

I think the Feather gets the most salmon and steelhead of the three rivers. Plus I think it has a native population of trout.

I think there are some salmon and steelhead in all the Valley rivers now......

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Crazy thing is that the fall Delta Stripers are starting too?

What to do?

Plus hunting is on in the fall too.

Trout in streams and lakes is happening now.

DAVID95670
09-19-2014, 08:49 AM
I see more people on the Feather than I encounter on the Yuba every time I fish it. I am baffled by the comments. Worst of all it is pretty much 100% that some old fool with a fly rod will low hole you on the feather river.

AS for swinging caddis being productive I take my hat off to you. I rarely catch steelhead on the Feather swingng. I prefer using my 5 wt switch swinging and i have pretty much given up on the feather

Not sure I would call these fish steelhead they are trout and are there year round

congrats on the awsome fish caught. How many salmon did you have to break off when you were there? they are thick as theives

cyama
09-19-2014, 10:31 AM
I was talking about the spring run where it isn't very crowded. At least that is what I have found. Sure if you fish on a Saturday in late October you will probably be run over with people and boats. Steelhead or trout call them what you want. All I know if they fight like crazy! I only had to break off one salmon. I tried to play the 20pounder with my 6 wt for a few seconds, but well you know what happened… Other people I talked to had hooked/snagged up to ten salmon and no trout/steelies. There was definitely less salmon in this area than last year. They might have gone up past the 70 bridge to the hatchery. I don't know. No salmon were spotted in the High Flow. The water is definitely warmer down there.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2014, 12:43 PM
The Lower Feather River has, on average, a big King salmon run in the fall with Sept being the peak which attacks tons of conventional anglers.

Usually October is the big Steelhead month with mostly indo/nymph/egg fishing because of all the salmon spawning.

Spring swinging for SH time is in March/April if it is not a flood year.

You can swing in the fall before the salmon start spawning.....Aug/Sept?