PDA

View Full Version : Heard the Klamath River is having a good steelhead run.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Probably fish from the mouth up to above Orleans now.

Better get up there.....plenty of miles to fish.

Rockman
09-15-2014, 06:34 PM

I have been up here since Friday with my wife's family who have been coming to the mouth since they were little kids. I am the only fly guy in the family, so I have been fishing with hardware since we are in their Jetboat. I have heard from the camps son who guides the river that it has been a great year. It should be a great fall because the Dept. of F&W have changed the regs. so only jack salmon that are 22" or smaller can be kept. We have been getting lots of 25-30 lb. kings that we keep in the water and release them. Hoping to get in some flyfishing tomorrow.

troutless
09-15-2014, 11:22 PM

Also a giant fire further upstream.

Bruce Slightom
09-16-2014, 07:23 AM
There are a large number of fish in the system. There was a flush of water from the Klamath side a few days ago but the temps are 69 to 70 again. I am concerned with the number of dead fish around.

Rockman
09-16-2014, 09:01 PM
There are a large number of fish in the system. There was a flush of water from the Klamath side a few days ago but the temps are 69 to 70 again. I am concerned with the number of dead fish around.

Just got back to camp at 7:15 after a great afternoon of Flyfishing on the Klamath river. Our campground owners son offered me a ride up to Blue Creek. Our mode of transportation was his two person wave runner! What a blast getting there, 17 mile river ride on a sit down jet ski with 4 rods strapped to the wave runner. Water was 66 degrees, fishing attire was water sandals & shorts with a packed jacket for the ride home. Arrived at 2 pm, fished till 6:30. Hooked up to 15 adults, landed 7, 7 ldr's, 1 broke me off. The two other guys flyfishing said it was the slowest it had been in weeks. I was happy to have hooked as many as I did in 4.5 hours.
So the reports are correct, it is a great time to be on the Klamath.

Blueracer
09-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Really nice report Rockman. You'll never forget that ride on the jet ski with your fly rods! Sent you a message.

Bwag
09-17-2014, 07:27 AM
With the bump in flows coming from the Trinity would it be better fishing above the confluence? I'm headed up this Thursday and am not sure if the fish will have settled below the confluence or if they are just going to push up the river.

Rockman
09-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Even if they push up with the flow, more fish continue to come in here at the mouth. Keep moving till they show some love.