PDA

View Full Version : Lakes Basin area camping info

loose_shoes
09-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have an first-hand knowledge of camping in the Gold Lake/Lakes Basin area? Just looking for some good recommendations for camping in the area.

I see USFS info for the “Lakes Basin Campground” and also a “Gold Lake Campground” but I can’t seem to locate the “Gold Lake Campground” definitively on the map. I see the Gold Lake 4X4 campground but I probably won’t go out to that one. (I might if it is highly recommended.)

I’ve been scouring the web for camping info and a lot of the information seems incomplete or contradictory. I’m sure once I’m up there and explore it will all make sense but I’m meeting someone there and neither of us has been there.

Any other places in the area I should consider?

Thanks in advance! PM’s are OK, too.

Mark Kranhold
09-13-2014, 01:09 PM
There are a ton of camping spots around that area. Be it Gold lake, Snag lake , Packer lake.... Etc! I always like going in a bit deeper to get away from the crowds. Lots of dirt roads and 4x4 roads can lead you into some great camp spots up there. One of my favorite , Deer lake. You may try little Gold lake or Tamarack lake off Packer lake road. There is even some great camp sites along some creeks up off of Packer saddle heading west. Get a good topo and go for it. I explored many of those roads dirt biking and many more to come. Lots of history and mines hidden in those hills. Beautiful country up there!