PDA

View Full Version : Lake Washington Sailing Club @ the Port of Sacramento in West Sacramento.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-12-2014, 08:18 AM
http://www.lwsailing.org/info/

Drove in yesterday after getting some stuff from Lowes in West Sac.

Talked with a member who was fishing off their dock in the evening after work.

He just landed a nice Crappie as I walked up.

He said in the fall that the seagulls would be chasing the schools of Stripers around that were chasing the schools of Threadfin Shad.

He said there was about a 5 year waiting list to join too.

I think fall, winter and spring are good times in that area for Stripers.

There is a launch ramp over by Lowes for car top boats but no motors, he said.

I think David Lee knows a lot about this place.

__________________________________________________ ________________

About 50 years ago when I worked at West Capitol Rod & Gun in West Sac you could drive over to Lake Washington, park, get out and walk to the shore and fish.

Back then we went through the locks from the Sacramento River into the turning basin when that was all new.

We use to drive down south on Jefferson Blvd to Dove and Pheasant hunt along the Deep Water Channel too.

Darian
09-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Back in the late '70s/early '80s, I was a member of the Lake Washington Outboard Club, a predecessor in the same location as this club. You could pay a $50.00 dollar annual fee to get a key to the gate. There was a club house next to the ramp that was never open when I was there. I used the ramp to launch a TPL pram for fishing the lake/harbor area. At that time, it was full of derelict boats and snags and the water was full of algae/dirty. After the gates on the Sacramento were closed, the harbor was never very productive for me when compared with fishing further down toward the Delta. Also during that time, timber companies were storing logs next to the entrance to the club parking/launching area for loading/shipping to wherever. The smell of the wet logs was good. It was always an adventure to navigate the lot to the gate while avoiding the heavy loaders carrying logs to the docks.

In spite of all that, it was an interesting place for bird watching, etc., some photography and an occasional smallish Striper or Black Bass. Now that access has been improved, it's busy with rowing club races and maybe better fishing....(???)

Tony Buzolich
09-12-2014, 10:43 AM
My dad and I used to fish that area a lot especially the deep water channel part where it comes close to the levee.

For my 14th birthday my dad took me over to Sears on Arden Way (there was no Arden Fair or Cal Expo) and bought me a large spinning outfit with a D.A.M. Quick reel. The next day we fished the deep water channel and I caught the biggest striper every going over 20lbs. :) Yep, on my 14th birthday on my new rod and reel.
Tony

Frank Alessio
09-12-2014, 12:23 PM
My dad and I used to fish that area a lot especially the deep water channel part where it comes close to the levee.

For my 14th birthday my dad took me over to Sears on Arden Way (there was no Arden Fair or Cal Expo) and bought me a large spinning outfit with a D.A.M. Quick reel. The next day we fished the deep water channel and I caught the biggest striper every going over 20lbs. :) Yep, on my 14th birthday on my new rod and reel.
Tony

Tony...I bought the same reel in the early 70's at Savings Center...Along with some Shad Darts from Ed's liquor store I fished for Shad behind Wong's House in River Park...Frank