PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Mems on Saturday.

Terry Thomas
09-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Looking forward to fishing with Mems on Saturday @Kona.
T

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Cool......I hope you do well.

Darian
09-05-2014, 07:56 AM
I'm envious. Will you be fishing for Bones or going off-shore??? Good luck either way.... :cool:

Morgan
09-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Let us know how and what type of fishing you'll be doing.
Id like to do something similar in March.

Terry Thomas
09-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Hitting some flats in the morning.

Frank Gonsalves
09-06-2014, 04:33 PM
You lucky dog.................does Sam Choy still have a restaurant out by the airport?

Terry Thomas
09-06-2014, 07:54 PM
There is a Sam Choy on the south end of Alii up on the hill. Nice place.

Terry Thomas
09-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Met Don @6:30 in the morning down at A-Bay (Anaeho' Omalu). If you have fished the islands before you know that this is rarely a numbers game. We saw a few bones and landed some small blue fin trevallies.

Fished the new Sage Salt 8wt with the Rio Tropical Quick Shooter/Redfish line. I like the Salt better than my Xi-3. The new rod feels more full flexing and tracks nicely. My son fished a Sage TCX 8wt with the new Scientific Angler Skarkwave line. I also fished the set up and feel the new Sharkwave line is much more user friendly than the Sharkskin (which I did not like at all). The line shoots great and is not as noisy going through the guides.

If you are looking for flats, the Big Island is not the place to go. If you are there with the family and want to sneak out early and try and get a grab or two then the early mornings are beautiful. There are many roads leading down to the water north of the airport. You can go down most any of these and have a fun morning. I would highly recommend Don Memmer if you want to learn the local ins and outs. He knows the island and it won't cost you major$$. Don frequently posts on our board and you can PM him to set up a guide date.

Bob G
09-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Met Don @6:30 in the morning down at A-Bay (Anaeho' Omalu). If you have fished the islands before you know that this is rarely a numbers game. We saw a few bones and landed some small blue fin travalles.

Fished the new Sage Salt 8wt with the Rio Tropical Quick Shooter/Redfish line. I like the Salt better than my Xi-3. The new rod feels more full flexing and tracks nicely. My son fished a Sage TCX 8wt with the new Scientific Angler Skarkwave line. I also fished the set up and feel the new Sharkwave line is much more user friendly than the Sharkskin (which I did not like at all). The line shoots great and is not as noisy going through the guides.

If you are looking for flats, the Big Island is not the place to go. If you are there with the family and want to sneak out early and try and get a grab or two then the early mornings are beautiful. There are many roads leading down to the water north of the airport. You can go down most any of these and have a fun morning. I would highly recommend Don Memmer if you want to learn the local ins and outs. He knows the island and it won't cost you major$$. Don frequently posts on our board and you can PM him to set up a guide date.

Hi Terry-

I have been wondering how your fishing with your son was going, so I appreciate your report.
The morning experience sounds wonderful, especially shared with your son.

Have a great vacation!

Bob

Terry Thomas
09-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Don was great with Mike. It was his first SW experience and he had lots of fun landing small blue fin trav...he even had a big boy chase right up to the rocks. So close.

mems
09-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Aloha Terry, thanks for the kind words. Mike was about 2 feet away from getting tagged by a 30lb lit up GT. That would have changed his world view in an instant. Mike picked up the trevally strip very quickly. I went back today and was totally harrassed by the mini trevally. Got one on almost every cast. I did get a couple in the 3lb range and had a nice 10lb bone follow my fly only to have a humunukuapuwaha hit the fly instead. Dam trigger fish. It was great you guys had shots at nice bluefinned trevally and GT's. It is such a rush to see those fish in shallow on the feed. Go get a big bone before you get back to Sacramento. Thanks again for a fun day, Don.

Morgan
09-11-2014, 01:09 PM
YOu may be hearing from me in march Don. Sounds like a blast! I would love to catch some trevally. Couldn't even imagine hooking one of those monster Hawaiian bones.