PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth patterns?

JWilli
08-20-2014, 06:45 PM
I am headed for the lower Umpqua for some smallmouth fishing. Need help with fly patterns.

Thanks,
Johno

Mark Kranhold
08-20-2014, 06:55 PM
I'd say Sculpinnnnnss! Good Luck!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2014, 08:11 PM
Early and late we used medium size light colored poppers........white or chartreuse.

Daytime I think they use weighted woolly bugger and Clouser minnows.

jbird
08-20-2014, 08:43 PM
EP fiber baitfish patterns account for the majority of my biggest smallies. Smallmouth like big flies, so I tie them 4-5" long.

JWilli
08-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys. Someone off board told me that crayfish patterns work real well on the Umpqua. Haven't tied any of those before.
I will make flies you all mentioned. Got to get some EP fiber. Fishing report to follow (next month).

Johno

k.hanley
08-22-2014, 07:15 AM
I know of guys who did real well with my Mayan Warrior as a crawdad pattern on the Umpqua and other Oregon waters. Here's a link to the tying materials and construction steps. You can experiment with color combos as well. Enjoy.

http://medialibrary.pacificextremes.com/pacific-extremes-saltwater.php?vid=2

Cheers, Ken

Scott V
08-22-2014, 07:32 AM
I have fished the lower Umpqua for smallies and I can tell you that it really doesn't matter what you throw. There are literally thousands of fish in that water. Have fun! I threw everything I had to see what they wouldn't bite and could not find anything they wouldn't eat.

jbird
08-22-2014, 09:11 AM
I know of guys who did real well with my Mayan Warrior as a crawdad pattern on the Umpqua and other Oregon waters. Here's a link to the tying materials and construction steps. You can experiment with color combos as well. Enjoy.

http://medialibrary.pacificextremes.com/pacific-extremes-saltwater.php?vid=2

Cheers, Ken

Hi Kenny! Thanks for the link. Ive had a picture of this fly in my head for a while, but couldnt remember the name or who tied it. I will be adding this to my arsenal right away! Now if all this rain would stop and the rivers would get fishable again :(

I have fished the lower Umpqua for smallies and I can tell you that it really doesn't matter what you throw. There are literally thousands of fish in that water. Have fun! I threw everything I had to see what they wouldn't bite and could not find anything they wouldn't eat.

This can be true just like with any other species. Dont be fooled into thinking smallies can be dooped into any fly on any day. They are just as fickle as trout or any other gamefish. In fact, I have found that smallies shut down and turn on more abrutly than any other gamefish Ive pursued. A pool that seems dead of life can erupt with insane action like a light switch. And they can get very particular about flies. I go thru more tippet and rotate thru more patterns with these fish than any other. Every day seems different.

Smallies are the BEST!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4DwpS3QavE

JWilli
08-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks Ken. Mayan Warrior looks like a great pattern (and not too difficult). Also, very nice web site.

Johno

Dan LeCount
08-22-2014, 09:29 PM
For river smallies Pat rubberlegs or jimmy legs work great hick sticked or casted and stripped. Andy Burks aggravator in tan works great too.

k.hanley
08-23-2014, 08:00 AM
Jay.......Best of luck moving back to Oregon. Great opportunities await!

Johno.......My pleasure. If you want the pattern to sink fast (through heavy current or deep holes), it might be wise to use weighted eyes.

As Dan pointed out Andy Burk's Aggravator is an outstanding smallie pattern. I remember when he was working on the design. We'd make late afternoon forays on Lake Shasta and the surrounding region. It became one of my favorite bass flies and still is (even for largemouth bass).

Cheers, Ken