PDA

View Full Version : Oregon in October

ARichcrook
08-19-2014, 01:19 PM
OK folks. The last few years my fishing buddy and i have spent a couple of weeks in Idaho/Montana in October. This year tho the time frame is the same we are going to try Oregon. We will be travelling north from the peoples rebublic of Califortaxes.

We figured on starting at Klammath / Agency lakes and go from there. We will have float tubes and a bass boat as well as wading gear. We primarily hunt large fish with streamers on these trips and would be open to any other spots someone might suggest. Guide recommendations are encouraged also. A couple of days of drifting or wading always eases the learning curve.

So without providing GPS coordinates to your hot spots, can anyone help me out ?

Thank you in advance.

Rich

gene goss
08-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Here is a couple of place's Wood River, and Williamson River......Davis Lake Oregon,Hosmer Lake, Crane Prairie Reservoir, East Lake......these should keep you into the big fish trip.....good luck

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2014, 08:16 PM
October is the best month to fly fish for Steelhead too.

Rogue, Umpqua, Deschutes, Grand Ronde, John Day to just name a few.

jbird
08-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Klamath lake is not a fall fishery. Head on up 97 to east lake. East is a dynamite fall fishery. Wickiup is also excellent in the fall for large brown trout. I hear diamond lake has bounced back this summer too. Good numbers with a few pushing 20".

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks jbird......

ARichcrook
08-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Thank you guys.
I had heard that fishing Klammath where the the Wood and Williamson enter could be very good in the Fall ???
Wickiup is on our list but i wasn't aware of East lake.

Bill, are the steelhead typically up to the Bend area by the middle of October ?

jbird
08-21-2014, 11:26 AM
There CAN always be fish near the mouth of the wood and willy. You get into some potentially very low water especially this year! The Dynamics of those lakes is the water gets too warm in the summer so the fish head to the springs and creeks. The returning cool in the fall will broadcast the fish thoughout the lake again. Hiring a guide like Marlon Rampy would be your ticket for this are.

The steelhead do not reach Bend. The Deschutes river steelhead hit the end of the line at the dam of Lake Billy Chinook. Quite a ways north of Bend. You'll be wanting to look at places like Mecca Flats, Fish Creek and Maupin. You should run into a few fish in this region. Theres also the John Day and Grande Ronde.

Lots of great fishing options through out the whole state that time of year. I would personally focus my efforts on East lake. Great tube/toon lake with a good chance for numbers and trophies. Remember, it was East Lake where Jim Teeny did the lions share of his R&D for his Teeny Nymph series that is very well known. Browns, bows, brookies, LL Atlantic salmon and kokanee. (Not sure if they still stock the latter two, its been a while since I lived out there.)

ARichcrook
08-21-2014, 11:31 AM
That's great information Jbird !

I thank you very much. Any recommendations for where we should stay ? Cheap, indoors with a kitchen is preferable.

jbird
08-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Things have changed a lot (grown) since I lived in Bend. I know Paulina lake has cabins that are available in the fall. Paulina is spitting distance from East. East lake may have em too but they suely have improved camp grounds. Newberry Crater is a National park and there is an entrance fee to enter the Caldera where the two lakes are situated. Theres lots of lodging in Lapine that would be a pretty good spot to hit both East Lake and Wickiup.
As for the Deschutes, someone else may know better where to stay. Its been over 20 years since I last fished it. The town of Maupin is a good start. (btw, I said Fish Creek, i think its actually Trout Creek... Cobwebs in the brain ;)). There are several fly shops in Bend and Sunriver. I would give em a call before finalizing plans.

You are heading into a great place at a great time :)

PS East lake sits at 6000' elevation. It can be very cold in the fall :)

hwchubb
08-21-2014, 08:03 PM
I will go with jay bird on this - I just got off of Westfly, and was reading a great report on East 2 minutes ago. The Deschutes is prime in October for steel, and the Crooked above Prineville can be a great ego boost. Hard to go wrong east of the Cascades in October, or with the North Umpqua or Rogue. Not to mention the Klamath, Trinity, McCloud, Eastern Sierra, Yellowstone, .....