PDA

View Full Version : A little variety on the American

Reel Ventures on the Fly
08-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Did an early morning float today lacking any top water action but still producing some fish. With that super moon behind us I was optimistic about getting into some aggressive stripers. Launching in the dark we began throwing top water and before we knew it the sun was on the water forcing our hand to switch to subsurface patterns. Almost instantly we were rewarded with a hard fighting schoolie that we both thought was going to weigh in as a bigger fish.

The skunk is now off and I am relieved with the slow morning still haunting me, we float on. What happened next left me with a thrill of excitement and possibly a new fishing strategy. The line goes tight with an immediate thrashing on the surface and I search my memory of a striper reacting this way after getting a hooked. My mind ran blank and for good reason the striper we thought we hooked was a nice wild half pounder that was a delight to bring into the boat.

The rest of the day we fished we a stronger confidence only to be teased by curious striper following to the boat only to turn away at the last minute. Off the water by 10am and the rest of my Sunday relax with the family, I count this as a success!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2014, 08:25 AM
That is an amazing river....thanks Garrett.

JAWallace
08-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I had the opportunity to meet Garrett last week, and we talked about the American for some time. He's a big topwater guy, and doesn't always fish the most well know runs. He knows his stuff, and I learned a lot from our conversation, including some surprising places where stripers lurk on the A that most of us pass by. I think a float with him would be an outstanding learning experience.

Reel Ventures on the Fly
08-24-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow, thanks for the kind words.