PDA

View Full Version : MinnKota Endura 50 electric

JWilli
08-14-2014, 10:01 PM
This was my bow mounted electric for fishing the delta when I had an 18' Klamath boat.
It has 50 lbs of thrust and a 51" shaft. I have an extra prop. You must provide your own mounting system.
Asking $125
I live in Santa Clara County.
Sorry, pickup only.

Johno

Travis A
08-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Any chance you could include some pictures, I looked online for a bow mount endura and was unable to find what it looked like.

JAWallace
08-15-2014, 08:20 AM
You'll probably have to make up your own mount for a transom mount electric, which this is, and what I use as well. I used parts from an old portable fish finder rig, bought some aluminum online, and cobbled together a simple system that works well for me. For fly fishing I would either stick with this or go to the iPilot/AutoPilot, nothing in-between. I also built a rear mount which is an excellent way to work against the Delta tides when fishing in tight. Sometimes I will have two electrics on board and jump between them.

JWilli
08-15-2014, 09:18 AM
I had a similar setup on my Klamath. One can google the subject and get lots of options, including pictures.
My boat gad a big bow rail that had to be negotiated. Some people cut passages in the rail to make it easier to mount and deploy the electric. I also had a rear mounted electric for the same reasons you gave.

It is tuff to be without a boat, but then there are lots of good guides out there to take me on a one day adventure on the delta.

Johno

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Rear mounted electric motors are good for going places but do not steer very well, particularly if there is any wind.

Bow mounted is best for steering.

The Minn Kota Auto Pilot is the best, especially for fly fishers.

It can hold you in place or move you along to where you want to go with a GPS system.

If you need help with getting the right electric motor on you boat please describe your boat in detail.

I have had several of these.....$209.00 new

JAWallace
08-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Sometimes I'll turn the boat stern to the current/tide, leave the head in the same position as a bow mount, and work against it. You can really control your position that way in small increments if you don't mind getting splashed a bit. Moving forward with a stern mount is never efficient, but I'll admit that I've done it on lakes midday in the sun with a Deep 6 behind me--like a trout trolling gear guy. Might have done it on the Delta once or twice too;-)

The Auto Pilot is the best, but I'd rather have my setup than the bass boat style with cables or the wireless foot pedals, if for no other reasons than ease of deploy/retrieve and overall ease of use. I really don't have a problem with the hand/knee control after getting used to it, but I'll probably part with the $1300 or so for the AP someday.