PDA

View Full Version : Potential threat to the Truckee?

Bob Loblaw
08-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Is anyone following the story about the Tesla giga factory? Apparently Tesla wants to build the worlds biggest factory with the worlds biggest asphalt parking lot somewhere in the western US to make lithium ion batteries. right now the favorite site is outside Reno on the banks of the Truckee River next to I-80.

Not sure what that would mean for the river.

Darian
08-12-2014, 08:25 PM
I've been following on the edges of it. So far, my interest in it relates to following how much ($$$$$$$) in the way of tax breaks this state would give Tesla for keeping the factory here. Telsa presents an opportunity for economic development (e.g. additional jobs, increased revenues for local/state governments, etc.).

Asphalt parking lot aside, not sure this type of factory is anything you'd want on the banks of any waterway, anywhere. Seems to me that there're Lots of places in NV and CA where the potential for polluting waterways could be minimized.

Chris Evison
08-14-2014, 08:56 AM
New plant is at 2641 Portofino Dr off of USA Parkway. It is not located next to I-80 or the Truckee River, but is close. Looks like it is a few miles from the river looking at aerial photos of the area. Street address is actually 2641 Portofino Dr, Virginia City, Nv. It is part of a big industrial corridor that stretches from I-80 south to U.S. Highway 50. Over time there will be a lot more asphalt parking lots in the area.

I do not think parking lot run-off is to big of a deal in this area. Most of the moisture comes in the winter during cooler temps and area only gets 4-6 inches of moisture a year.

loose_shoes
09-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Tesla picks Nevada.

http://blog.sfgate.com/energy/2014/09/03/report-tesla-picks-nevada-for-gigafactory/