PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead, Trinity

kylgrn
08-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Hey all,

I'm itching to try my hand at catching a steely this year, I primarily fish various streams in the Sierra's for trout. I want to plan some kind of multi-day trip to the Trinity or Rogue (shady cove?) this winter to do some spey casting for steelhead. I would love to either join a group already planning (or have an annual trip) to go, or just plain see if anyone might be interested. I am new to steelhead fishing and two handed rods, I had a couple lessons from Mr. Lowe himself but haven't gotten around to utilizing it much.

I'm looking for anyone to split lodging, ride share, or just good company I might be able to learn something from. I'm open to anything between October - December for a 2-3 day trip. I would prefer to to spend most the time learning to swing flies.

-Kyle

JasonB
08-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Kyle,
I could be into joining forces for a trip or two up north this fall. I pretty much only swing flies if I'm steelheading, though hardly from any sort of "purist" ethos or anything. It's just more fun for me. As far as lodging, I am usually a camping fan as it means that I can afford to take more trips :-)

As far as learning anything from me, well I'm pretty much a novice myself but I can demonstrate some serious running line tangles now and again. I do manage to hook a steelhead or two when I happen to be standing in the middle of a good run at just that right moment...
Lemme know, I'm probably looking to start hitting the Rogue and North Umpqua as soon as I get back from my Alaska trip at the end of the month.
JB

kylgrn
08-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Jason,

Sounds like a good time, likewise I will PM you when I get back from Montana at the end of the month. I actually would prefer camping as well, granted I can park my truck someplace and use the camper shell :)

Dylan40
08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Are you still planning on this trip?

Thanks

Hey all,

I'm itching to try my hand at catching a steely this year, I primarily fish various streams in the Sierra's for trout. I want to plan some kind of multi-day trip to the Trinity or Rogue (shady cove?) this winter to do some spey casting for steelhead. I would love to either join a group already planning (or have an annual trip) to go, or just plain see if anyone might be interested. I am new to steelhead fishing and two handed rods, I had a couple lessons from Mr. Lowe himself but haven't gotten around to utilizing it much.

I'm looking for anyone to split lodging, ride share, or just good company I might be able to learn something from. I'm open to anything between October - December for a 2-3 day trip. I would prefer to to spend most the time learning to swing flies.

-Kyle

kylgrn
08-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Dylan,

I am most certainly planning the trip!

Dylan40
08-26-2014, 08:25 PM
cool….do you have room for one more? if so, whats the plan?

Thanks!

kylgrn
08-26-2014, 08:27 PM
I still need to sync up with Jason when he's back at the end of the month, after that we will know dates/location.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-26-2014, 09:59 PM
October is the best month for swinging flies for fall steelhead.

The water is not too hot and not too cold.

Sept 15 to Nov 15 is my window for fall steelheading.

Lower Trinity River = October

Middle Klamath River = October

Upper Rogue River = October

This is all floating line fishing for the most part.

JasonB
08-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Yo Kyle,
Just got home from the great state. Amazing trip, but as usual it just leaves me itching to go again! I'll send you a PM, but let's see if we can head north soon.
JB

Rmacneil656
09-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Hi all, I was planning on putting un a board request for the same thing when I came across this. I just came bac from an exploritory trip to the trinity to get ready for the upcomming season. Dont get me wrong there are fosh there now. I manged to find one on a breadcrust pattern, but he or she slipped me with some arial manuvers. I'm looking to plan some weekend trips up that way. I really like a leave saturday and fish the evening stint, then fish sunday morning til mid afternoon and jet home. I have a little commuter car and certianlly don't mind putting the miles on her. I have been into swinging flies ever since I picked up a spey rod, I still have my single hand setup, but lets face it, a hookup on the swing is life changing event.

If you want to fish let me know!

PV_Premier
09-19-2015, 06:16 PM
i'll throw my hat into this group, my October is pretty booked up already but if a trip plan coincides with a vacant weekend on my calendar, i would be happy to join and am OK to tent camp. i am a 100% novice on coastal river steelhead but know enough to be dangerous on the "steelhead" of the Lower Yuba.