PDA

View Full Version : manzanita mishap (resulting lost sage xp and lamson)

steveg137
08-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Had lovely trip to manzanita this weekend.

Was ruined on Sunday when in the excitement of finally finding a dry they wanted I lost my all time favorite rod, 9ft 6 inch sage xp I've had for about 15 years.

Caught lovely brown on top, got it in the net where the tippet snapped and as I found out shortly thereafter I must have knocked my rod over the side of the pontoon. Was on the drop off to deep water out past the large tree stumps, spent hour looking for it but no luck.

Feel really stupid and trying not to feel too depressed. The rod has my name engraved, if it does show up which is highly unlikely there's a good reward. More likely whenever I fish lovely manzanita I'll be peering into the water and cursing myself.

Steve

Mark Kranhold
08-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Bummer , you have diving friends? Scuba gear, You'll get it back!

steveg137
08-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Mark, I don't but good idea- might try to find some scuba buddies!

JohnD
08-11-2014, 05:25 PM
GoPro, long pole, flashlight. Watch the app until you see your rig, then snag it with a spinning rig.

JAM
08-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Steve, sorry to hear. Hope your get your rig back. I have had few close calls myself.
Sound like there are some good suggestions. Good luck!

steveg137
08-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys some great suggestions.
Appreciate it.

Andy Guibord
08-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Bummer, Get a snorkel and face mask if not too deep. Maybe you can relocate it with a Fishing Buddy fish locator.

Lance Gray
08-13-2014, 09:54 AM
I was there Sunday. We had a group of people doing the Lassen RV Fly-Fishing Tour. It was great. I would find a friend that scuba dives. The rod stand straight up in the water with the rod tip up.

My friend Tim snagged a rod this year at Almanor and the owner of the rod who lost it ten years ago got the rod back. It was pretty torn up by the Lamson Reel LP3 cleaned up and fished good.

There is hope!!!

Bitter Dave
08-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Years ago I lost a rod due to an overly aggressive carp bite and a stickly drag while bait fishing. It was pretty much tap-tap zoom as the rod was pulled into the water. Luckily we had mulitple rods, so a large treble hook, a bullet sinker, and a few minutes later we were able to drege up the rod. The carp was gone, but at least we got the rod back. Might be worth a try if the bottom of Manzanita isn't full of snags.

steveg137
08-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Yeah problem is it happened right over a drop off into deep water and weeds - 30 yards away and would been relatively easy to see.
That said I'll try to be-friend a scuba person and try to salvage it. Dam shame sitting in the lake somewhere, oh the pain :)

Mike O
08-15-2014, 11:13 AM
Yeah problem is it happened right over a drop off into deep water and weeds - 30 yards away and would been relatively easy to see.
That said I'll try to be-friend a scuba person and try to salvage it. Dam shame sitting in the lake somewhere, oh the pain :)

Define "deep"

NCL
08-16-2014, 06:29 AM
It's about 50 feet in that area.