PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii...the big island in march.

Morgan
08-08-2014, 01:07 PM
My wife and I as well as a few friends will be staying on the big island of Hawaii mid march. Id love to wet a line. Any suggestions as far as water to try or guides to hire...fire em my way. Post or pm please.

Thanks!

Tony Buzolich
08-08-2014, 04:25 PM
We just got back from Kona a couple of weeks ago and have been going there for years. Most shore fishing is best done with a spinning rod though there are lagoon and small flats north of the airport that have bonefish and papio. The best guy to contact for this kind of fishing would be Don Memmer who is a regular on the board.

If you think you want to fly fish off shore for a change of pace get ahold of Capt. Del Dykes. I've fished with him for many years and he really knows the water well. I believe both he and his wife have several fly rod world records on big-eye tuna taken there. He has a nice center consul ( Reel Action) that is docked right in Honokahau Harbor and easy to get to. His number is 808 325-6811.

I don't have Don Memmer's number but it should be easy to get off this forum.
Tony

mems
08-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Aloha Gangster, let me know when you will be here and where you will be staying. March is a while off, but we can book a day for you for inshore. Thanks for the plug Tony. Del is good fun for offshore. If you need help let me know, I know most of the offshore fly guys and I can come help and be a mate for the day and show you what to do and how to get ahi, mahi etc. We survived the hurricane, no damage to our house. Winds were only 50mph here in hilo and some people lost power. Send me a PM and we can set something up for your trip. Right now lots of papio, jacks and bonefish around. Let me know how I can help, Don.

Morgan
08-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Any private lakes I can fish for peacock bass?
How about some recommended flats? I didn't stumble upon any a couple years ago.

mems
08-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Sorry no lakes for peacocks on the big island. Kauai and Oahu have those. I don't know where you went on the big island. Best flat for bonefish is A-bay right in front of the marriot. I was guiding there the past two days saw some nice big bones. They chased a couple of flies, but didn't eat. Tons of small trevally around and some larger ones cruising. Fish early before the bikini hatch comes off. Let me know if you want to book a day, Don.

Morgan
08-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Don we stayed in Hilo last time. When we go in March we aren't staying in Hilo as far as I know. It will be my wife and I and another couple. We are looking for a nice house or condo for the four of us w/ everything in walking distance hopefully. All I know now is Im gonna wet a line and eat lots of poke.

Hatch
09-03-2014, 10:14 AM
I have been to the big island several times and found nice houses for rent on VRBO.
HATCH

Morgan
09-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes I seen that Hatch and thank you.
Now im just trying to find a place with everything...or most in walking distance. Like food, fishing, snorkeling etc.
We loved Hilo and the marine reserve nearby was insane for snorkeling! But Id like some flats or some type of fishing nearby.
Can Anyone that can point me in that direction?

And we don't want to be near Kona and the tourist bullshit.

mems
09-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Get a condo at the greens up in waikaloa. You can get a two bedroom place for a good price, $175/night. There are also some condos down at Waikaloa beach that are very nicely furnished I think it is called the fairways. Both places are on a golf course. Most hotels are crazy for tourists, like $300 plus a night. You can stay at a cool bed and breakfast in Waimea, the Jacaranda Inn for $140 a night. Very romantic, but no food service. It is also a drive to the beach. You can rent a house down at puako, and snorkel out the back door, but they are pricey. If you need help, let me know , I have a real estate friend who can help you out. Don.