PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 5 wt. Fiberglass Rod

JAWallace
08-07-2014, 01:13 PM
Perfect target is Steffen 8' 5/6 wt. Will consider an Echo 7'10" 5 wt. and others. Primary use is still waters in a tube so the shorties aren't too useful, and it needs at least a little backbone for casting streamers. Thanks for considering any inventory you'd like to lighten up.

JAM
08-08-2014, 09:41 AM
If a new rod is within your price range, Larry Kenney custom fiber rods is worth considering.
I recently held and felt it's sweet action. Larry is truly a master builder with a long history.
I asked my friend how the LK rod stacked up compared to the ones you mentioned, not even
close. Anyway, worth a look.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/04/new-l-kenney-models-and-update.html

JAWallace
08-08-2014, 09:59 AM
If a new rod is within your price range, Larry Kenney custom fiber rods is worth considering.
I recently held and felt it's sweet action. Larry is truly a master builder with a long history.
I asked my friend how the LK rod stacked up compared to the ones you mentioned, not even
close. Anyway, worth a look.

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/04/new-l-kenney-models-and-update.html

Thanks, JAM. That's outside of my budget for the first glass rod. Well, technically the second as I have an EC 8' #5 coming in just to play with it, but we really can't count that one. Compared to top line graphite it's not expensive, but it's easy to make a mistake for the first one so I want to keep it down to max a new Steffen, hopefully less. I know I can get a Lami for mid hundreds but I'm afraid they are too soft for anything but creek fishing and I don't do that. I do need something a little faster with some backbone for the 5-6 wt. range, hoping to be more of a 5.

LNelson
08-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Perfect target is Steffen 8' 5/6 wt. Will consider an Echo 7'10" 5 wt. and others. Primary use is still waters in a tube so the shorties aren't too useful, and it needs at least a little backbone for casting streamers. Thanks for considering any inventory you'd like to lighten up.

The Steffen 5/6 is an outstanding fly rod. I have owned it in the 2,3,4, and 5 piece versions. It is not a 5wt, it is a 6wt blank. If you are looking for a 5wt glass rod and have your sights on a Steffen, look for the 4/5 blank, not the 5/6.

I have also owned three of Larry Kenney's rods, including a 5wt. Larry is a great guy with a long history in the rod making business, as is Mark Steffen. I handle a lot of fiberglass fly rods, unlike JAM's friend, I happen to disagree that the Steffen isn't "even close", I actually prefer Steffen tapers, especially the 3/4 blanks and the 5/6 blanks.

Rich Morrison
08-09-2014, 07:06 AM
As we all know - what constitiutes a good fly rod is a subjective and personal thing. Walton Powell's 8.5' 5-6-7wt glass rods are out there and can be had for a reasonable price. They are an excellent 5wt. Your best bet would be to check out the for sale pages at www.fiberglassflyrodders.com.

JAWallace
08-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks, Rich. Yes, I'm watching that classified thread and others for prospects. Haven't seen any Powells, and I thought about them too. I would imagine the older Powell rods are mostly quite slow (among glass rods) and parabolic? For my first good glass rod I'm looking for something with a progressive taper and on the fast side. I think down the line a 3/4 Powell would be wonderful.

Mr F
08-09-2014, 10:16 PM
For my first good glass rod I'm looking for something with a progressive taper and on the fast side.

If you're looking for a fast-glass rod I highly recommend the Swift Epic series. I currently own a 8' 4wt and a 8-6" 6 wt. The 6 wt can rocket a streamer yet still protect a 7x tippet while landing a 17" rainbow. The 4wt is a wonderful dry fly rod, but can launch a wooly bugger or large hopper on demand. I'm sure their 8' 5wt is exactly what you're looking for.

My 6wt kit arrived from New Zealand 5 days after I placed my order (that blew me away!). Their build kits are well thought out with high quality components--perfect for the first time rod builder. I'm sure their factory "custom" builds are just as nice (although you may have to wait a few weeks).

Again, I can't recommend these rods enough. Check them out: http://swiftflyfishing.com/pages/get-an-epic

If you'd like something not-so-fast I have a few rods I'd part with (Cabelas CGR 7-6 5/6 wt, and a custom built 7-6 no-name blank noodle.) PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,

MF

JAWallace
08-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Agree that from what I've learned the Steffen and Epic are my best bets. Both are relatively fast. The Epic is another $250-$300 complete, getting into the $650 territory. I have no idea how to build a rod so it's factory or local wrapper for me. Better throttle back for my first glass rod. Next one I'll know a lot more. Thanks. The Cabelas CGR is well regarded; i understand the new ones are not. The 5/6 would be redundant, so I'll pass but again, thanks for the offer.

Dan LeCount
08-09-2014, 11:35 PM
The CGRs of old are being re-released from what I hear.

Rich Morrison
08-10-2014, 09:12 AM
I too have heard good things about the Epic rods. Also Fred Paddocks lemon drop rods also meet you desired criteria. I'm just not sure if he went to a 5wt on those. Walton Powells glass rods are not particularly slow by 70s glass standards. The 7', 7'3", and 7'5" are not slow at all but quite lively. Keep in mind Walt did not build 3/4wt rods. Those line wts were not really around back then. His glass are all marked 5-6-7, 7-8-9, or 9-10-11-12 (!). A few are unmarked. That being said I routinely fish all my shorter Walton Powell glass rods with 3 and 4wt lines to good effect. Cabelas is doing a new run of CGR rods (green blank). The CGT (orange blank) are the ones you want to avoid.

LNelson
08-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Mr F,

Agreed wholeheartedly. After searching for the perfect glass 5wt for a few years and trying literally over a dozen tapers, both modern and vintage, the Epic is nicest I found. I had 2 built. Another outstanding glass 5wt is Shane Gray's Graywolf Signature S glass. Both of them are do it all 5wts, dries, weighted nymphs, tandems. Not niche rods, something you can fish anywhere with.
If you're looking for a fast-glass rod I highly recommend the Swift Epic series. I currently own a 8' 4wt and a 8-6" 6 wt. The 6 wt can rocket a streamer yet still protect a 7x tippet while landing a 17" rainbow. The 4wt is a wonderful dry fly rod, but can launch a wooly bugger or large hopper on demand. I'm sure their 8' 5wt is exactly what you're looking for.

My 6wt kit arrived from New Zealand 5 days after I placed my order (that blew me away!). Their build kits are well thought out with high quality components--perfect for the first time rod builder. I'm sure their factory "custom" builds are just as nice (although you may have to wait a few weeks).

Again, I can't recommend these rods enough. Check them out: http://swiftflyfishing.com/pages/get-an-epic

If you'd like something not-so-fast I have a few rods I'd part with (Cabelas CGR 7-6 5/6 wt, and a custom built 7-6 no-name blank noodle.) PM me if you're interested.

Cheers,

MF

John Sv
08-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Hi, I went down to the orvis store in Reno today after a hike. Gave the superfine glass 8 5wt a wiggle. Looks like a nice rod. Color of split pea soup, stripping guide looks the same as on old fewick glass rods. Feels softer mid to top than my steffen, stiffer at the butt. Keep in mind this was just from showroom wiggling, not casting.

JAWallace
08-10-2014, 06:30 PM
My impression is that this is a dry fly rod, and most likely a very sweet one. I think if that's a primary or exclusive use it would be a wonderful fishing tool. That's very secondary to me, so not my cup of tea. I also question how far down the blank it will flex--as you said it's very stiff at the butt.

Mr F
08-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Two more (cheap) options for you:

- W.W. Grigg "Vintage Glass" http://www.wwgrigg.com/fly.htm It's a glass/graphite mix, but you would never know from casting it. It lays out a line like pure glass. They're great rods for $70!

- And . . The good ol' Eagle Claw Featherlight (yup--they still make them) http://www.eagleclaw.com/product/rods/type/Fly%20Rods Just like the Griggs, the new Featherlights have a bit of graphite in them--but they're still great rods. Only $60 some-odd dollars last time I checked.

I believe Sportsman's Warehouse carries WW Grigg and Eagle Claw rods.

JAWallace
08-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Two more (cheap) options for you:

- W.W. Grigg "Vintage Glass" http://www.wwgrigg.com/fly.htm It's a glass/graphite mix, but you would never know from casting it. It lays out a line like pure glass. They're great rods for $70!

- And . . The good ol' Eagle Claw Featherlight (yup--they still make them) http://www.eagleclaw.com/product/rods/type/Fly%20Rods Just like the Griggs, the new Featherlights have a bit of graphite in them--but they're still great rods. Only $60 some-odd dollars last time I checked.

I believe Sportsman's Warehouse carries WW Grigg and Eagle Claw rods. I actually bought the Eagle Claw 8' 5/6--$28 shipped from Zon. I'm supposed to say it was awful, clunky, etc. but I actually like it ;-) It's junk but it's fun and it will always be there to throw outrageous bass bugs. Keeps me occupied and learning until I get a good one.

A very generous board member let me cast some of his today, including a Steffen. Liked it a lot, and also liked his Fenwick FF756-4. That is a very sweet old rod and i will definitely be picking up one sometime. They aren't expensive and readily available. I think there are four on eBay now. For now i'm fixed on modern glass, all purpose rod. Steffen seems to do that very well.

JAWallace
08-13-2014, 01:26 PM
This is a great thread, and I've learned a lot, received some excellent advice, and met some great people who know their glass well.

I did end up getting a new to me Steffen 5/6 8'6" rod from a board member. I wasn't sure when I first cast a similar rod, but found the perfect line and it now casts like butter. Love it.

Next quest is for a 3/4 glass rod. Those two plus a couple of other cheep-os I've picked up for fun should have me set for awhile. Thanks to all for your help. ~John