PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Cost

Baja Fly Fisher
08-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Has nothing to do with selling. But something to do with what's been sold and the postage.
Seems like most everyone that has purchased some thing from me has been getting dinged for
more postage. I went to the PO this morning and talked with the Postmaster. It was kinda like talking
to the wall or my 11 month old grand daughter. NO I take that back, my grand daughter would give me
a better answer. I also told him I think the scales should be checked by weights and measures. I think his got
pissed at me, oh well such is life.
I will be posting more items next week. Possibly some plastic eyes, hooks, small beads, etc.

Jay

Tony Buzolich
08-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Last week I shipped one of my stripping baskets to a fellow in San Jose using Fed/Ex. He said to use his Fed/Ex account and put the charges in his company's name. One stripping basket sent from Yuba City to San Jose,,,,,,,,,,,,$175.00 Geeeeez :(

I think U.S.Postal service is still the best if you're not in a hurry.
Tony

DLJeff
08-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Hey Jay,
I asked our P.O. here about it and how that can happen. They said it was most likely a scale calibration error or they input the wrong zip code. Nothing they could do about it from this end. I ask if they could send a note to the "sending P.O." telling them their scale is probably off. Nope. No big drama on this end. Let me know what I owe you for those round popper bodies plus postage.

Baja Fly Fisher
08-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Your popper bodies were mailed this morning. Less than 1 oz. I think it was around $1.25 1st class postage in a bubble envelope. We'll see what it is when delivered to your door.
I have one shipment that was around 4.00 by the time it got to the destination they tacked on $11.00 more. I guess the postal is trying to make up for the money they are losing.

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Some big companies, like Orvis, use USPS, FEDX and UPS depending on which is the cheapest for the desired speed of delivery.

From our fly shop, small stuff is cheaper by USPS, but bigger stuff is cheaper by UPS.

FedX and UPS is kind of like Coke and Pepsi, depends on who wants your business.

dynaflow
08-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Some big companies, like Orvis, use USPS, FEDX and UPS depending on which is the cheapest for the desired speed of delivery.From our fly shop, small stuff is cheaper by USPS, but bigger stuff is cheaper by UPS.FedX and UPS is kind of like Coke and Pepsi, depends on who wants your business.
Wow,try sending anything to Australia! The rates specified on the internet are out of whack with the actual charge at the P.O.but I've found most Forumites here very co-operative when I've mentioned this and they're also surprised at the real cost.:)..unfortunately it means going to the P.O.though.
Cheers

JAWallace
08-07-2014, 05:23 PM
You have to tell the USPS what the shipping should be and let them argue, not the other way around. They don't like to use the large envelope rate, but if you meet the criteria its a lot less than the package rate. I've found they try to charge you for the package rate and you have to show them why you qualify for lower.

Fed Ex Home Express is the way to send rods. Always. Faster and cheaper than anything else.