PDA

View Full Version : family drift boat

scozach
08-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Hey all,

I am looking at getting a drift boat. So I would be taking my two sons and the wife at times, Boys are 3 and 5 years old. So I would like a stable boat with seating for four. I would be floating the sac, feather, Yuba, trinity ect. I am inexperienced at rowing. Also looking for rowing lessons if anyone knows any place or anyone that dose lessons. Would like to know what the heck I'm doing prior to risking my kids lives.. Oh yeah, I would also like a boat that could handle a small motor if later on I choose to do that.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Scott

JAM
08-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Check CL for Redding -search "drift". There are several for sale right now. I saw two that were right
size for family. Good luck!

http://redding.craigslist.org/boa/4584503251.html

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2014, 07:06 AM
17' long x 54" wide sounds good.

You have aluminum or fiberglass, mostly.

High side for big water and low side for easier water.

I am guessing that a new larger fully rigged drift boat and trailer would be close to $10,000?

dude02
08-04-2014, 11:04 AM
I would prefer a 17 foot in an aluminum boat (54 or 60 inch wide). Clackacraft WF, mega-box, etc. boats are in this same size range for a glass option. Two seats up front for four people. For kids I would get a high side style boat just for safety. Plenty of opinions on which boat material and manufacturers are best. The best boat, BTW, is the one that I am fishing out of and not rowing. Most standard style and sized drift boats handle motors up to 10 HP outboards. A glass boat will require a motor mount.

I know that Clackacraft and Willie Boats have used inventory on their websites. Other manufacturers may as well. Searchtempest.com is the best way to search Craigslist that I have found. Put in your zip code and a search radius and it will search all of the different Craigslist cities within your preferred search area.

Here is a video that Clackacraft has for basic instruction that I think is helpful. The link is a search on youtube and the video is in three parts. But there is no substitute for time on the oars. I have not really looked locally for rowing instruction but there are likely some options out there, maybe a local guide could put something together.

Good luck with your search.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=clackacraft+driftboat+techn