PDA

View Full Version : Floating the Lower Sac in a canoe

John Sv
08-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi,
wasn't sure where to post this- the boat forum seems more buying/selling/owning boats.
We like to canoe moving water. Not whitewater. Everything I've seen on the Sac fits the bill, but I haven't seen it all. How would it go in a canoe? I've seen articles about kayaking and rafting, but no one talking canoes, or really describing the water. What's a good stretch for a half-day canoe/fish? What are the good flows? Is there a good website or book?
Thanks in advance,
John

John H
08-04-2014, 09:33 PM
John -

The Lower Sac is big water especially in the summer. I would not canoe it. I canoed the lower Russian when I was a kid which I remember as a lot of fun. I think that is floatable and they have smallmouth. I have canoed lower Putah Creek a couple of times. Once was in a flood and both boats dumped with one lost to Davy Jones' locker. The other time it was a bushwack and we had to bail out and call for a ride. I am thinking about doing it again. Third time will be the charm. I canoed Cache Creek once but it is flowing at 5 cfs this summer. Dumped the boat there also. Go up to Canada. Very good canoeing there and blockbuster fishing.

jmac
08-05-2014, 09:10 AM
Paddling the Lower Sac is great! We paddled it in a canoe last July (2013) and camped overnight on an island. It was super hot, and the mosquitos were almost unbearable at night, but if you're prepared for that, it is really a beautiful paddle. We didn't fish, but you could if you wanted. There are a lot of back channels and waterways to explore, wildlife, birds, etc. I highly recommend it.

We put in near Chico and ran a shuttle down to a take-out near a bridge where they were doing construction. We hardly paddled any distance the first day before stopping for a swim and to camp for the night. The next day we paddled for a half-day to the takeout. You could run that entire section in a day, or pick an earlier takeout for a shorter trip. I don't know the names of the entry or exit points, but you could pretty much go from anywhere. Our put-in was at a boat ramp just upstream from some bar and an RV resort on river left, just west of Chico. Can't remember the name....

There really is no "whitewater"...a couple spots where you get some current and waves, but if you have any paddling skills at all, you'll be fine. I saw nothing over Class I. And, as JohnH said, it is a big river, so you can avoid the faster currents if you want. My wife's sister and bro-in-law ran one faster section in their inflatable kayak, but I avoided it and paddled to the side because I was unsure about my wife's comfort in moving water in the canoe. Give it a run - it's a great paddle!

Mike Stroud
08-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Hi John,
If your speaking of the traditional Lower Sac run through Redding, you should be fine this time of year. For almost 15 years a took a group of friends on a multi-day excursion from Redding to Red Bluff, camping along the way. There is a deep hole with multiple cross currents that will flip a canoe, kayak, or even drift boat. This hole can be dangerous, but it is well below Redding. The exact location, I cannot be sure of, however I do believe it is below Cottonwood Creek. Sorry, I cannot pin point the exact location, but Google Earth should provide some insight.

If you're looking for a good half-day trip and you have paddling experience, I would recommend put-in at the Posse Grounds, just above Sun Dial Bridge. Depending on how fast you paddle, and of course how many stops you make, you can float to the Bonneview take out and it will take you 4-6 hours in the current flows. Call the guys at the The Fly Shop in Redding and they can provide even better details.

Have fun!

Tony Buzolich
08-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Depending on where you want paddle is a big concern in the Lower Sac when you consider other boat traffic that is using the river as well. In the upper part of the Sac (above Colusa) just about ALL boat traffic will be JET powered. For these guys to move it requires a lot of force and this usually means waves. To accommodate canoe traffic just about means the jet has to stop after coming off plane. This doesn't make the jet boat driver very happy and at the same time throws quite a wake for the canoe.

A river like the American which is a total 5 mph zone would be much more conducive to canoe travel than anywhere on the Sac.

Tony

John Sv
08-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks all!
This sounds perfect:"If you're looking for a good half-day trip and you have paddling experience, I would recommend put-in at the Posse Grounds, just above Sun Dial Bridge. Depending on how fast you paddle, and of course how many stops you make, you can float to the Bonneview take out and it will take you 4-6 hours in the current flows."

steveg137
08-13-2014, 04:43 PM
I've done it several time in my pontoon. (Scadden 1 man).

The first time I missed the take out in dark and had mad upstream paddle, nearly ended up on way to the capital!

Apart from that it's been good, can be tough to fish some parts moving, easier to stop at likely spots and fish from shore or close to shore.

I use John at Fly Shop for the shuttle, great guy.

Good luck!
Steve

roywest
08-14-2014, 11:13 PM
We tried to rent canoes to do this with our boys, but the one place we found, with great huge fiberglass canoes, had stopped renting. Anyplace to rent a canoe on the Sac?