PDA

View Full Version : it was hot...

Brendo
07-28-2014, 12:13 AM
the hike down, the fishing when I got there, and the anger when I left. I was fishing somewhere on the north fork of the American, where the smallies usually outnumber people. it was a long hike down the canyon Friday to a fairly well known locals spot. after 4 miles I arrived to my usual honey hole to find the people hatch in full swing, not a problem, always have a plan B. hiked a ways down river and the fish were waiting. started out with my floating line stripping and swinging large black barble eyed buggers. fishing was awesome, almost a fish every cast, but before long the main part of my reel loosened off the piece that connects to the reel seat...two small screws had become loose without me noticing, darn. luckily I have my back up reel with some sinking line. I moved my way down river and found some nice pools, some known and some new. At my favorite spot of the day (the only pool with shade) I really started pulling some fish. Most were 10-14 inch smallies but a few were of good size. Plenty of looks from some truly nice fish but these guys were smart. At one point a very large turtle showed up to hunt and fishing immediately stopped. I'm not complaining, it was fascinating to watch a turtle try to grab a fish and he spooked a few of the monster's from the rocks. After this I headed back to my starting point where things took a turn. The folks that remained at the river in the evening were some of the worst people I have ever encountered. They yelled obscenities in front of children, spear fished for small mouth, and left all their trash on the water. The fish they killed were left on the bank. Couldn't help but overhear the split Russian/English dialogue between the fools...I packed out what I could but there is much more left behind. its a shame such a fine day of fishing was ended with a trash clean up but i'm grateful none the less. up the canyon a plume of smoke could be seen, proof that things could always be worse than they are now.

jbird
07-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Nice report and nice pics! Love that crystal clear water. How I miss that! Such a shame about the fools on the river. I don't think theres anywhere in this country you can escape such behavior. But finding it 4 miles in?? Sad!

Brendo
07-28-2014, 09:01 PM
thanks Jbird. it was a ways in but I guess the heat out here is driving more crowds up from sac than usual. I'm moving to Montana in a few weeks, hopefully cooler temperatures and some uncrowded water are waiting for me over there!