PDA

View Full Version : Day hike fishing - What do you take?

monahan100
07-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Those of you that hike in to fishing spots, what do you like/dislike to take with you?

A lot of my favorite fishing places are within a mile or so of roads, so I usually wear my felt wading shoes, vest, and whatever gear I think I'll need. For people going further, are you taking special footwear/clothing? Float tube for lakes? Do you wear a vest? Or take a minimalist approach? Anything for protection?

Thanks

EricO
07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
When float tubing I take my internal frame backpack. I roll up my tube super tight (Caddis brand) and stuff it in
along with my waders, vest, lunch, reels, snacks etc. I used to bring my external frame but my new pack fits TONS.
Then I bungee my fins to the back, put two rods on the side straps slots (I always bring two rods in case of breakage
or some snafu. It saved my buddy and I last trip when his reel seat just fell off- could have been a day ruiner).

I usually have band aids, water in a camelback type holder, vitamin water cuz I love it. I'll bring my cell if there
is service and put it in a zip lock.

Some people use lanyards...I just hate them. Easier to bring my vest cuz I know where everything is located.

For protection? Trojans.

EO

PS: I bring a switch blade Spyderco that is sharp as a razor.

James W
07-25-2014, 06:54 PM
If I'm hiking, it can only mean small stream fishing.
That means Tenkara rod, good hiking boots, trekking poles (a new concession to very rough terrain), and a Mountain Hardwear daypack full of things like water/munchies/first aid kit, etc.

Protection? From what? And where?
Grizzly country is one thing, I make more than enough noise and vibration to warn snakes off, and I hear zombie sightings are at an all time low.

tcorfey
07-25-2014, 07:27 PM
I carry either a 9' 5 piece 5wt or an 8' 4 piece 3wt rod and the appropriate reel attached to my pack.
If the destination is less than a mile or two I wear my wading boots (rubber sole w/studs) with a gel insole.
For hikes farther than that than I wear hiking boots, Quick dry socks, quick dry zipoff pants, quick dry long sleeve shirt.

In my Hydration bladder pack I carry a 14' or 11' tenkara rod (as backup they collapse to 22"), granola bars and jerky, snake bite kit, small first aid kit, emergency bright orange poncho, small led flashlight, light fleece, PEPIRB, waterproof matches, two small fly boxes, two 9' 4x leaders and one each spools of 5x and 6x tippet, nippers, hemostat, some split shot and indicators, collapsible wading staff, sunglasses and reading glasses, watch, baseball cap, small sunscreen, small bug repellant and a Leatherman knife on my belt.

Regards, Tim C.

amoeba
07-26-2014, 10:15 AM
for 1-3 mile: take a vest with fishing gear, a light shirt and/or very light windbreaker, always hat/sunglasses. water (not much - like 16 oz), hydrate before heading out. 1 granola bar. Don't need no wading staff, bladder, and I would shoot myself before I brought a cell phone.

I bring a small flashlite and headlamp. I also bring a tiny roll of flagging with me with which to mark entry points to river/trail so I can get the hey back. Comes in real handy late and off-trail, especially in new areas and often in familiar ones in the dark.

Dunno what the other people who posted do; maybe they do the elvis (wanderer).

David Lee
07-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Short ones , water .

Long ones .... a Sherpa/Rod-bearer .

D.~

Mr.Matt
07-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Something really small can save your bacon if you ever get lost off trail.
A whistle. Aka a rape whistle.

jburge
08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
In addition to fishing gear (already mentioned), I always carry water filtration (Sawyer mini is great!), and "minimalist" survival kit including some method to start a fire, LED light, whistle, and water filtration tablets. Just in case...