PDA

View Full Version : WBT: 7/8w Switch Rod

Travis A
07-16-2014, 04:05 PM
So I'm looking for a switch rod to enter the world of two handed casting. I was hoping someone on the forum had one laying around they don't use much and/or wouldn't mind parting with. I don't need anything too fancy as I am just starting in the two handed game and am not looking to spend a ton of money. I was looking at the Echo Classic and SR series (which are what Bill recommends for good starter rods) as they are not too pricey, and didn't want to buy a new one if someone has a switch rod around that I could put to good use. I am open to whatever is out there and suggestions on what you guys think as well.

Thanks

Cmcculloch
07-16-2014, 05:40 PM
You might check to see if the ad below for Echo Classic 7 wt 10'6" is still available. Only $ 80.

Mark Kranhold
07-16-2014, 07:29 PM
What's type of fishing are you planing on doing with a 2hander? The reason why I ask is that it is much easier to pick up the casting stroke with a full Spey, plus I have never seen the benifits in a switch.

NCL
07-17-2014, 05:38 AM
I would second what Mark stated, when I first got into the two hand game I was thinking of going with a switch rod, really just a short spey rod, and I was told by a very knowledgeable instructor, "you have a single hand rod go with a regular spey rod". The switch rod was developed for a very specific application.

Travis A
07-17-2014, 08:58 AM
You might check to see if the ad below for Echo Classic 7 wt 10'6" is still available. Only $ 80.

I contacted Sunfish about the echo (which would be perfect) but someone already had dibs on it, we will see if it pans out.

Travis A
07-17-2014, 09:08 AM
What's type of fishing are you planing on doing with a 2hander? The reason why I ask is that it is much easier to pick up the casting stroke with a full Spey, plus I have never seen the benifits in a switch.

I was planning on using it as a multi-purpose rod. The applications I had in mind were fishing the American and probably some other rivers for steelhead and shad, using it for surf fishing here in Santa Cruz for bigger species like stripers and halibut, and also off my boat for stripers and salmon from the bay up into the Sac River. I got the idea because Steve from California Fly Shop uses one along the beaches with great success for some really nice stripers and also in the American for shad and steelhead (same rod for both).

But I'm new to the two-handed game so I do appreciate the feedback.

jimfishon
07-18-2014, 04:45 PM
So I'm looking for a switch rod to enter the world of two handed casting. I was hoping someone on the forum had one laying around they don't use much and/or wouldn't mind parting with. I don't need anything too fancy as I am just starting in the two handed game and am not looking to spend a ton of money. I was looking at the Echo Classic and SR series (which are what Bill recommends for good starter rods) as they are not too pricey, and didn't want to buy a new one if someone has a switch rod around that I could put to good use. I am open to whatever is out there and suggestions on what you guys think as well.

Thanks

I have a new Echo SR 81010 tube & sock, this has been cast one time on our local pond, been in the closet for two years, I will never use it, I bought it new. I will sell it for $175.00 shipped to your door.

..Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Call the shop tomorrow and ask if we have any 7 weight Switch rods on sale.

We have a lot of stuff on sale right now.

1-800-400-0359 toll free USA

1-916-486-9958 Local

Free shipping in the lower 48 all the time.

No sales tax on all non-sale items over $100 right now too....July/August special

We are very competitive.......

Travis A
07-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Thanks Bill, I will give the shop a call today.

BS720
07-20-2014, 02:45 AM
...The switch rod was developed for a very specific application.

Can you expound on this? What is this very specific application? I'm newish to fly fishing, new to spey, and brand new to switch. I just got a 5wt switch rod, and it blows my mind. You can single hand nymph, cast dries, strip streamers, double hand overhead, surf cast and double spey on one rod. I think it's the most versatile rod I've ever fished. Don't get me wrong, I prefer to have the rod that is best at each discipline. This is the first rod that makes me think I could get by with two or three rods for any scenario(and I own fifteen rods). I'm curious as to why you think it's not versatile.

To the OP, sorry, but I don't think you can learn spey casting on a switch rod. Your technique will be deplorable. You need to learn to single hand on a single hand rod, and spey cast on a spey rod. In time, you will learn to spey with a single hand and single hand cast a spey. It's not that hard, but that's the process, in my opinion.

NCL
07-20-2014, 05:56 AM
A few years back Bob Meiser gave a talk at the SRFF Spey Festival and he talked about the development of the "switch" rod. Bob said he wanted a shorter spey rod to fish half pounders on the Rogue River so he came up with the rod referred as the "switch" rod. Bob said there were three individuals fishing the rod and it was handed back and forth during the day to use so at the end of the day they were referring to the rod as a "switch" rod (I also heard another version was because they "switched" lines but that was not from Bob). So my reference that the "switch" rod was developed for a "specific application" was from Bob Meiser's story that he developed the rod for fishing for half pounders on the Rogue River. Bob also said he wished he had never called the rod "switch" because the rod originally was just a short spey rod. I am sure since the rod's development there are other applications as you mentioned. I use my 4/5 Meiser on the Lower Sac to trout fish and it is perfect for that application.