PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon tippet material vs. Fluorocarbon fishing line

J.E.M. Hull
07-14-2014, 06:23 PM
Was wondering if you guys think its really worth paying extra for "fluorocarbon tippet material" instead of just buying fluorocarbon line in your desired test and diameter?

I'm getting ready to buy all new terminals for this year and forgot how expensive the flouro tippet can be....

So what is your opinion on this?

-jess

Bob G
07-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Jess -

If you decide to go the tippet material route, take a look at Yellowstone Angler's website. Their site's Home Page includes the helpful analysis, "Tippet Shootout" under "Gear Reviews". This anaysis is updated from the original which was printed in Fly Fisherman Magazine.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob

Mark Kranhold
07-14-2014, 06:48 PM
What are you fishing for and what technic will be used?

PDills
07-14-2014, 07:06 PM
I had this same idea to replace my rio floroflex plus tippet material (the purple roll) with regular fluorocarbon line, and in the process save myself a bunch of money... Until I started looking at the pound test ratings per diameter. I found out that not all flourocarbon is created equal. The expensive purple roll from rio is a special a double bonded flourocarbon that you pay for a high proof load per diameter. I keep telling myself that normal flourocarbon line is good enough and it probably is most of the time, but for some reason I still haven't changed to it.

k9mark
07-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Both mono and flouro can be seen underwater with the naked eye. Do we really believe fish can't either? I say save your money. Ive found no difference in catching fish with either. What I have found is proper resentation of your fly trumps everything else. But hey, that's my experience. If you feel it works for you stick with it.

gene goss
07-14-2014, 09:06 PM
I use about 110 yards a year for tippet material, Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon fishing line is a great deal.

tascaso
07-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Fluoro is a big environmental issue as it does not degrade. I use mono only and take my wife out to dinner a little more often. The fish don't really care.

tcorfey
07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
In fluorocarbon I buy line in larger spools and then reload old the smaller tippet spools. But, I only buy down to 6lb (4x) in fluorocarbon. Anything smaller (5x, 6x or 7x)and I buy mono on tippet spools. I have read that unlike mono line, fluorocarbon does not break down in sunlight or fluorescent light and can be stored for a long time so buying quantity make sense to me.

James W
07-14-2014, 10:05 PM
I found out that not all flourocarbon is created equal.

Bingo!
So . . .
Is the thinnest part of your rigging really where you want to cut costs?
If not, buy the very best, Seaguar Grand Max FX.

Darian
07-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Lots of info missing in your question. You mention that you're buying "....all new terminals...." Salt vs fresh water or both?? Bass casting reels or salt water reels??? Based on your question about a line vs tippet material makes me think that you're going to use a leader attached to the main line which might be braid or dacron.

Not sure I agree that fluoro is as visible as mono in clear water. No concerns about turbid water, tho. For example, my partner uses a spinning outfit loaded with 30# Power Pro braid and a tip shot of 50' of 20# or 15# Seaguard fluoro to the hook or lure. This has been very successful at La Ventana for all salty fish including a Sailfish. You can change the top shot easily to a lighter pound test if necessary. If you've never fished down there, it's hard to explain how clear that water really is and that on occasion a switch from 20# to 15# fluoro will turn a slow action day, into a fast action one. So, that's one application. Another might be revolving spool reels for either fresh or salt water. Same line set-up.

In general, fluoro is larger in diameter than is mono for a given pound test and, worse, it doesn't biodegrade well. It's easy to make a case for either one but I don't use fluoro on conventional or fly gear outside of being in the salt at La Ventana.

I've been experimenting with using Power Pro braid tied directly to the lure or bait using revolving spool reels in fresh water and, so far, I haven't noticed any problems of spooking fish. Now trying to incorporate it into a fly leader for Delta Bass fishin' in heavy cover. :cool:

Scott V
07-15-2014, 07:56 AM
I use about 110 yards a year for tippet material, Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon fishing line is a great deal.

This is what I do. Cheapest way to go if you use flouro for tippet.

J.E.M. Hull
07-15-2014, 12:35 PM
Lots of info missing in your question. You mention that you're buying "....all new terminals...." Salt vs fresh water or both?? Bass casting reels or salt water reels??? Based on your question about a line vs tippet material makes me think that you're going to use a leader attached to the main line which might be braid or dacron.

Not sure I agree that fluoro is as visible as mono in clear water. No concerns about turbid water, tho. For example, my partner uses a spinning outfit loaded with 30# Power Pro braid and a tip shot of 50' of 20# or 15# Seaguard fluoro to the hook or lure. This has been very successful at La Ventana for all salty fish including a Sailfish. You can change the top shot easily to a lighter pound test if necessary. If you've never fished down there, it's hard to explain how clear that water really is and that on occasion a switch from 20# to 15# fluoro will turn a slow action day, into a fast action one. So, that's one application. Another might be revolving spool reels for either fresh or salt water. Same line set-up.

In general, fluoro is larger in diameter than is mono for a given pound test and, worse, it doesn't biodegrade well. It's easy to make a case for either one but I don't use fluoro on conventional or fly gear outside of being in the salt at La Ventana.

I've been experimenting with using Power Pro braid tied directly to the lure or bait using revolving spool reels in fresh water and, so far, I haven't noticed any problems of spooking fish. Now trying to incorporate it into a fly leader for Delta Bass fishin' in heavy cover. :cool:

Fresh water, from anything from bluegill, carp, LMB, trout in streams, rivers and lakes as well as stripers wherever they happen to be...fly fishing only...

I mainly only use the flouro for nymphing or when swinging soft hackles and Stillwater when I'm using a really really long section of tippet, I do notice it seems to sink better in those applications. For leaders I mostly use furled thread or nylon leaders with the tiny little tippet rings (just my preference) that I then tie a section of tippet to that, the length and material depending on what flys and method I'm fishing with.

-jess

EricO
07-15-2014, 04:08 PM
"For leaders I mostly use furled thread or nylon leaders with the tiny little tippet rings (just my preference) that I then tie a section of tippet to that, the length and material depending on what flys and method I'm fishing with."

Tippet rings RULE!!!! Best thing since sliced bread IMHO. Makes a $3.95 tapered leaded last for many outings.

I also use them with my furled leaders as well.

EO

Reese
07-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I'll second Bob's recommendation on the "Tippet Shootout," it's very comprehensive. It sort of comes down to cost and convience. Do you want to pay less for a potentially lower quality product that may lose you fish? And do you want to carry around a small or large spool (or have to reload your small spool every couple months)?

And not to get too preachy, but I found Trout Hunter tippet through that review and it is hands down the best fluoro I've used (better than Rio, Umpqua, and a half dozen other brands). I find that it is stronger and more abrasive-resistant than advertised and it comes in 50 meter small spools! Which saves me numerous trips to the store. For flies smaller than a size 6, I haven't found a better material.

JD
07-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Maxima Fluorocarbon comes in 2# to 20# (and larger) and is all one needs, in my mind. There is the problem where this stuff does not break down, so mind your tags when you snip them off, and dispose of used material in the proper place. Fluorocarbon has several features I like beyond its lower visibility than monofilament, but those little tippets spools are a waste IMHO. YMMV.

briansII
07-17-2014, 01:59 PM
I'm still using up my inventory of Seaguar Grand Max, and I also use big spools or Fluoro "fishing line". Mainly Seaguar and Sunline. I've had good luck with all of them. Comparing diameter and lb test is a good idea, because it can vary quite a bit.

The Yellowstone Angler Shootout is a good one. If you'd like to compare their results with some fluorocarbon "fishing line", check this review out.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html

The methodology may differ, but there's some hard numbers to compare.

I've read more than a few of these line and tippet shootouts. One thing I have noticed is, one particular fluorocarbon "fishing line" consistently under performs against it's competition. It's still popular because of it's lower cost.

briansII

amoeba
07-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Was wondering if you guys think its really worth paying extra for "fluorocarbon tippet material" instead of just buying fluorocarbon line in your desired test and diameter?

I'm getting ready to buy all new terminals for this year and forgot how expensive the flouro tippet can be....

So what is your opinion on this?

-jess

Well, these (fluoro tippet and fluoro fishing line) are different products; you could use fishing line as tippet, I suppose....some people do....and the fly shops like Kiene's now sell big rolls of fluoro for these people. It does catch fish - how much less (or more) I couldn't say; it is slightly larger diameter per unit strength than tippet - there seem to be other subtle differences in stiffness and transparency as well. But if it says anything to you - - - there's no shortage of customers who use only tippet material, as tippet.

There's alot more money being spent on gas getting to the fishing these days, to compromise success by saving $1-2/fishing day by using cheap terminal tackle. I generally don't use fishing line as tippet.

J.E.M. Hull
07-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys, after reading your responses and thinking about further I figured whats the point in saving a few bux on tippet when often I'm fishing a rod and reel setup that cost nearly a grand. So I ended up just buying what I was use to, trout hunter that is.

Dan Harrison
07-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Check this thread out, http://troutlegend.com/forum/fips-mouche-gear-talk/flouro-alternatives/ I have been using 6lb seaguar invizx which is a great 3x replacement and have no complaints. Will be picking up the 4lb soon as i just ran out of 5x.