PDA

View Full Version : Bowman Lake Road Area

monahan100
07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
I am hoping to make a car camping trip to some of the lakes in the Bowman Lake Road Area next month, maybe Grouse Ridge or the Canyon Creek areas. I've never been there before, and keep finding different descriptions in the roads in the area. Everything from bumpy to rough and rocky. Does anyone have first hand experience? I'm in a 4 wheel drive pickup and am not scared of dirt roads, but it only has 4 ply tires at the moment and I hate changing tires while I am trying to fish. Is there any cell phone service in the area (just in case)?

My plan is to camp, do a little hiking/exploring, and try to catch a few fish. Should I anticipate any stream fishing in that area? Not looking for secret spots, but I'd appreciate any tips that help keep me from wandering in a totally wrong direction.

John Sv
07-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I drive that road for work a fair bit. I would describe it as rough, needing 2wd, high clearance. Lots of tire biters so pay attention!
All that said, every time I get there, there is a late model Euro import parked there, so maybe it is not that bad. I never go in from the Bowman side; my info is from the Jackson Meadows side.

monahan100
07-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the description John, I'll take it slow and easy. Dirt road descriptions are very subjective and can change over time, nice to know a little but before heading into a new area by myself.

Do you know if there is any cell service in the area? I realize thats spotty at best, but I have a wilson amplifier and antenna on my truck.

Ed Wahl
07-14-2014, 09:19 PM
Mike, I've been fishing the Grouse Ridge area for many many years. Grouse Ridge Road is doable in almost any vehicle. I've seen my share of BMW's up there. It's all lake fishing, with a bit of hiking. Tons of lakes to fish using the Grouse Ridge campground as a base camp. Good cel reception up on the ridge in camp, but spotty at the lakes. Right before you get to the campground there's a trail on the right that goes up onto a point, do not for any reason skip by that without walking up and taking a peek. Also if you get the chance walk up to the old fire lookout at the end of the road. Bring a camera.
Shoot me a pm if you need any specifics.
Ed

wineslob
07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Grouse Ridge, Carr, or Lindsey Lakes would be good as a base camp. I was in the Lindsey area last month. The lakes were warm back then, and the fishing was sloooow. You can also check out the small streams (Texas for one) you'll cross, lots of "dink" fun in those.

monahan100
07-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Thank you for all the input, I appreciate the help!

Do you find that there are fewer people the further you go on Bowman Lake road? I mean, the further you get from 80? I know Mid August is prime time for people and not trout, but its still nice to get away from the crowds.

Scott V
07-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Thank you for all the input, I appreciate the help!

Do you find that there are fewer people the further you go on Bowman Lake road? I mean, the further you get from 80? I know Mid August is prime time for people and not trout, but its still nice to get away from the crowds.

The farther out your willing to go, the fewer people you will see. That is the golden rule, Ed taught me that one. If your willing ti hike, you'll most likely be all alone.

John Sv
07-15-2014, 05:30 PM
If you hike from bowman road you will see less. However bowman, sawmill, and faucherie are very very popular lakes. You might want to google when the Sierra trek off road event is. The weeks before and after it usually have the three above lakes mobbed. I was out at perazzo today; the aluminum hatch is definitely on at Jackson meadows road and meadow lake road. Did not go past that area though.

wineslob
07-16-2014, 07:47 AM
If you hike from bowman road you will see less. However bowman, sawmill, and faucherie are very very popular lakes. You might want to google when the Sierra trek off road event is. The weeks before and after it usually have the three above lakes mobbed. I was out at perazzo today; the aluminum hatch is definitely on at Jackson meadows road and meadow lake road. Did not go past that area though.

Add Penner to this list. The fishing is good, but, for some reason, it gets pounded by the hiking crowd. However they don't usually fish.

monahan100
07-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Thanks again, and great point about the Sierra trek... That does fall right at the beginning of my vacation. Might have to rethink my plan a little. I have bad luck with that sort of thing, a few years ago I had to make some adjustments during a camping trip in the Uinta mountains when I found out a sasquatch investigation team picked the same time and place.

_SLY_
07-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Could have packed your giant fur suit, and had a hell of a time!