PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged Fishing Trip - Hat Creek or Pit River doing any good

JoeFin
07-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Well so much for my trip into Wyoming and Montana

Been researching and marking my Google Maps app for the last 3 months getting ready for my "Big Trip" into Wyoming, Yellowstone, and Montana. All the coordinates loaded into phone's GPS, reels loaded with new line ... ect, ect.

Wife's Brother in Law passed away l

Left behind a wife a 3 beautiful daughters all still in school. Lesson be learned, keep your weight under control, have your blood sugar, and cholesterol checked annually even if your in great shape. He was only 55

Well I still have a week of vacation left - tell me if I should head up to Hat Creek, Pit River, and McCloud to try and get whats left of the season there

amoeba
07-11-2014, 07:03 AM
Sorry for your loss:

By far the best fishing/least people will be at Pit 4 or 5, just prepare for wet-wading (gaitors, knee protection, minimal/waterproof-protected gear); anywhere on Hat or McCloud will be a zoo by comparison.

yubaman
07-11-2014, 01:02 PM
We just fished the McCLoud over 4th of July. I saw two other fly fishers over 4 days. Of course, we did not go fish down at Ah Di Na either. We did fish above and below Ash Camp, as well as Upper McCloud, which had quite a few people on the river around the campgrounds. Fishing was very good. Qite a few hatches going on, Salmonflies, Mayflies, etc

amoeba
07-12-2014, 10:45 AM
We just fished the McCLoud over 4th of July. I saw two other fly fishers over 4 days. Of course, we did not go fish down at Ah Di Na either. We did fish above and below Ash Camp, as well as Upper McCloud, which had quite a few people on the river around the campgrounds. Fishing was very good. Qite a few hatches going on, Salmonflies, Mayflies, etc

Ash Camp isn't a camp, more of a not-so-flat spot at the end of a rough gravel road. Regardless, there hasn't been a trip in the last 20 years of trips there, that I have seen less than 4 cars parked. The thought that the McCloud is lightly fished - anytime, anywhere - is quite a bit off in my typical experience. Traditionally, it's pounded to smithereens by 10 am each day and then some thereafter. Perhaps not so much as the upper Sac, but pounded nonetheless - not only by DIYs, but regular guiding. The chances that you would experience unfished water on the McCloud - on any given day - are not so good.

Go elsewhere is my advice.

Dan Harrison
07-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Sorry about the loss, been up On the upper sac for the last 4 days. I like a hike so i havnt seen many people. Fishing is has been good there has been fish every where i have tried. I would stay above soda creek water temp is 65 there Dunsmuir on up is a good bet. Also as someone suggested pit 4 would be a good place to get away. Best of luck.

yubaman
07-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Trust me, I was there, it's like anyplace else, the farther you walk, the less people there are, real simple. Hike a tad, and you will find plenty of open water. We did.

JoeFin
07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Had good trip - Just put my wife on the plane to spend some more time with her sister

1 word - HOT

It was almost too hot to spend any time fishing after 10 am. Fished the Pit and Fall River and had a blast. The Pit was pretty much done soon as the sun hit the water. Certainly not as good as it was in years gone by and when I looked at google earth with the imagery date of Feb 2 2014 I could see why.

Was my first time on the Fall River and it was HOT HOT HOT. Tried rowing my little pontoon up stream and floating back down and only came across 6" fish. Quite a few guides / wanna be guides fishing for customers too.

1 creek salvaged the trip for me and I landed a few good size bows. It was cool, shady, and the water was ice cold. - by now you know where I'm talking about