PDA

View Full Version : Weed Cutting Leader....

Darian
07-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Since Black Bass hang out under heavy cover, I'm thinking that after hooking one, a leader that incorporates a section of abrasive braid would be helpful to cut thru the salad making landing a fish less of a problem. Altho, I haven't lost any fish in cover, yet, I don't like to motor (trolling motor) into weedy water to pull a weed covered fish out of the slop (not referring to mats, here). If you've followed fly fishing for Calico Bass in SoCal saltwater, you've probably seen the info provided by a group calling themselves, "The Calico Syndicate". Among other bit's of info, there's mention of a kelp cutter leader that uses a combo of Flouro or mono and braid to accomplish the goal of cutting thru kelp fronds where Calico's hang out.

Their leader design doesn't appear to a fit for my intended use or casting bass bugs, casting floating bugs onto the salad similar to "punching". So, I'm wondering if anyone out there has used a leader of this nature or not, and, If so, would be willing to share thoughts on this???