PDA

View Full Version : Kiene's fishing report by Jay Clark

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Kiene's Fly Shop Fishing Report!
Fishing Report from Jay Clark:

Milton Lake Fishing Report:

Good fishing continues at this small tailwater impoundment for wild brown trout. Parachute adams in a size 14 fished on a long light leader (12-14' 6x) will get eaten by willing fish in the inlet area. Look for risers and target them. Fish are also eating size 18-20 midges in red, black and purple fished 3-4' under an indicator. During the mid day callibaetis hatch, fish are eating mahogany duns, tan compara duns, as well as callibaetis emergers in a size 14. When the hatch wanes around 3 pm midges under the indicator will get fish. Fish a parachute adams in the evenings for more topwater fun! Also ants and termites are getting some attention especially when the wind blows! Milton is a great place to fish for trout as other lakes in the Northern Sierra start becoming too warm to safely catch and release.

Lake Davis Fishing Report:

Damsels and hexes are on the menu right now at Davis. The damsels get going around 9 am and peak between 11 am and 1 pm. The hex hatch is still rolling most evenings with the bugs coming off from 8:30 till dark. Try an emerger to start and then switch to a dun when the bugs start really popping. Watch the water temps as I have already been getting readings in the 70's. Might be time to stay off this lake till the fall.

North Yuba River Fishing Report:

The North Yuba is fishing well with dry flies and dry dropper rigs. Crystal rubber leg stimulators in orange and yellow with caddis droppers are working well in the riffles and pocket waters for small wild trout. E/c caddis and elk hair caddis are getting plenty of action in the evenings. Its been hot on this wonderful mountain river this past week so fish early and late and spend some time swimming and snorkeling during the mid day heat. Flows are still good and water temps are in the low 60's in the morning.

Contact Us
Call us at (916) 486-9958, go online at www.kiene.com or visit our Facebook page for more information.

Like us on Facebook

M Duper
07-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Nice detailed report. Heading to Davis in two weeks. Thanks for the post.

Scott V
07-09-2014, 09:11 AM
I personally would not fish Davis due to the water temps until the fall. If you catch fish, you might as well keep them because they more than likely will not survive. I saw water temps pushing 73 over a month ago. But this is just me, anyone else can do what they want.