PDA

View Full Version : Best all round rods for smallmouth and largemouth bass fishing

retirednavy
07-08-2014, 10:32 AM
I have a six weight for LM bass.

Should I use my 5 weight for smallmouth?

Or go up to a 7 wt for LM, and a 6wt for smallmouth.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Scott V
07-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Depends on what size fly you will be throwing. I base my rod size on the fly I will be throwing not the fish.

Darian
07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I have to agree with Scott. The size of the fly cast will help determine which rod to use. Also, windy conditions will require a heavier/faster action rod to cast the fly.

I'd recommend taking both rods, set up in advance, out for a trip and cast them both. Then decide which you want to use for either type Bass.

Have fun and good luck. :cool:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-08-2014, 07:39 PM
Scott and Darian already said it very well....

We use a really short head or short belly floating fly lines.

Sage Bass line or Rio Outbound Short are both good.........

charles
07-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I agree with Scott, when I am fishing Dry Creek near my home I use mostly a three weight for throwing size 10 and smaller buggers and poppers ( I've caught up to 4 pounders with that setup). When I fish lakes I use my six weight and throw smaller hair bugs, poppers, and minnow patterns. I only use my 8 weight(for the power) for throwing big hair bugs and frogs. I have also used my five weight form throwing buggers and small minnows. Hope this helps!

jbird
07-10-2014, 01:47 AM
Largemouth live in heavy cover. A 6wt is bare minimum for horsing a bass thru deep cabbage. I prefer an 8wt with 15# tippet for largemouth and a 6 or 7wt for smallies