PDA

View Full Version : Trinity skating question

hwchubb
07-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Has anybody out there skated the Trinity successfully? I'm getting the itch to try it on my fall trip this year. I've done decently, but not as well as I thought I should have, in the past swinging medium and deep, but haven't tried skating yet. Any advice on pattern, size? I guess I'm really looking for those who have actually done it successfully, not just theorizing, cause that I have plenty of. Especially the ones I formulate while proving what doesn't work.

cyama
07-06-2014, 06:56 PM
In my experiences on the Trinity and near the mouth of the Klamath. The best fly out there is the black and orange/red muddler minnow sold by the Trinity Fly Shop. It is best used around October during the or before the Big caddis hatch. Get several sizes and pick some up with the natural elk hair. Works great!! If it isn't working swing a nice orange soft hackle in size 10!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi Wayne

I would hire a guide out of the Trinity Fly Shop or Jason Hartwick.......both can be Googled.

October on the lower Trinity River would be a good time, on average.

Herb Burton, owner of the Trinity Fly Shop, has used a special muddler minnow for skating for years, as mentioned by cyama above.

Jed Peters
07-07-2014, 07:58 AM
I've only caught a dozen or so adults on the Trinity--so take this with a grain of salt--but the majority of them came on the surface. So yes, it can be done and it is effective.

Bruce Slightom
07-07-2014, 08:01 AM
A riffling hitched fly can be very effect any time the water is above 50 degrees. A McMillian's Steelhead Caddis in small sizes are a good choice, but ant fly that is dressed sparse will work.

Dan Harrison
07-08-2014, 02:39 AM
Was up there for a couple days a few years ago with Doug Duncan and we all had been strickly swinging with a few grabs and no fish for two days. Last evening I give up and land three nymphing well lo and behold Doug goes the other way and gets one skating a rifle hitched muddler. I will never forget that grin on his face :) Doug wins.

Terry Thomas
07-08-2014, 07:24 AM
Tan Ska-Opper...put it on and leave it on.

Norman B
07-08-2014, 12:35 PM
Herb Burton and his wife at the Trinity fly Shop also make a special skating fly with a strange made up name, it looks like a brindle bug with a tail and hackle. I ordered a dozen for skating last year, and caught many steelhead on the Trinity and Klamath with a riffle hitch, and it's basically all I use when the water looks good for skating.

cyama
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Top ten flies from The Trinity Fly Shop. Some good ones in there http://trinityflyshop.com/blog/top-10-favorite-fall-steelhead-flies-yum-yum-eatm-up/

hwchubb
07-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll take that as a collective "yes" and treat my steelhead on the brain as best I can for the next 3 months (although I may have an evening to hit the NU next week).
Terry, I watched a video on the Ska-opper - that is one complicated tie for a skating pattern, although I imagine it floats pretty well...

Larry S
07-11-2014, 09:59 AM
hw,
Skagit Masters, Vol 2 features Scott Howell and some great tips on fishing the "Ska-hopper."
Best,
Larry S