PDA

View Full Version : Bubbleicious rod

ssy
07-03-2014, 12:47 PM
I tried throwing a 2/0 Bubbleicious with my Sage Bass rod and 330 line with poor results. Should I use my Sage Xi2 8wt with a 9wt Rio OBS floater or my 9wt TFO clouser rod. Hoping someone else might have had the same issue with this bulky fly. I did catch a 1.5lber on my second cast on it. FUN

Thanks,
Steve

David Lee
07-03-2014, 12:56 PM
Uhhhh .... Please describe 'poor results' .

I hope you don't take this the wrong way , as I'm not trying to insult you .... but the thought of buying a specific Rod for 1 fly is , well .... kinda strange . The Sage Bass rod SHOULD be able to huck a small HouseCat , so perhaps it's the technique/leader/poor conditions ?

Try a short (6-foot) , heavy leader . Don't overpower the rod , load it smoothly . if the wind is screamin' .... try rollcasting downwind . I have thrown a 2/0 Siliclone (diameter fatter than a .25 cent coin) on a fast 7 wt. , and a long leader . It was usually ugly , but it hit the water , and that's all that counts !

D.~

James
07-03-2014, 01:05 PM
I tried throwing a 2/0 Bubbleicious with my Sage Bass rod and 330 line with poor results. Should I use my Sage Xi2 8wt with a 9wt Rio OBS floater or my 9wt TFO clouser rod. Hoping someone else might have had the same issue with this bulky fly. I did catch a 1.5lber on my second cast on it. FUN

Thanks,
Steve

I use a Sage XI3 8wt with the OBS 8wt, it throws with ease. Use a twisted leader also, totally helps.

ssy
07-03-2014, 05:01 PM
thanks guys and no offense taken Dave. I was tossing a larger gurgler most of the day while tossing it 60-70ft and and switched over to the bubbleicious, I tossed it about 20 times and even tried different casting strokes but can toss it maybe 40ft or so. I'll figure it out as I'm just a decent caster.

Darian
07-03-2014, 06:56 PM
I have to agree with David. The combo of rod/line you describe using should perform well unless casting in windy conditions. One caution, tho. A 2/0 Bubblicious fly is, as you've described, a bulky fly. Since this bug comes in several sizes and bulkiness, why not try a smaller model???

Also, as James suggested, you could try using a twisted leader. Great casting but a bit too much refracting of light off it for fishing in clear water for my tastes.

ssy
07-04-2014, 05:56 AM
That was my next step, downsizing the fly. And yes, I do use a twisted leader with a 2 ft mono leader

Darian
07-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track. Just keep at it until you find the right combo and good luck. :cool: