PDA

View Full Version : Back Packing Trip Advice

Dinky Jr
07-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Hi All,
My girlfriend and I have a random 4 days off next week and are thinking about slapping together a quick backpacking trip that would combine scenic beauty and fishing. I'm thinking of something along the lines of a days hike in, setting up base camp on a lake, short day hike the next day with a return to base camp that night, and then hiking out the next day with fishing scattered throughout. She's a photographer so picturesque landscapes would be great (although those seem pretty easy to stumble upon in the Sierras) and good fishing would be a plus. We'd be coming from the bay area, so somewhere on the west side of the mountains would probably work best (and we've already got a 10 day trip to the eastern Sierra's planned for August.) It'd be her 2nd overnight back-packing trip (although she's done tons of car camping) so something that gets the heart rate up but isn't too strenuous would be ideal. Right now I am thinking something out of Kennedy Meadows off Sonora Pass or perhaps down in Sequoia/Kings Canyon (maybe Monarch Lakes/Sawtooth Pass out of Mineral King?) Anybody have any suggestions/advice? You don't have to give up your secret lake, but general advice on good areas/trailheads would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot... I'll be sure to post a trip report wherever we end up.

-Carl

Fly Guy Dave
07-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Hi Carl-

There are plenty of places that fit this criteria in Desolation Wilderness, but sometimes getting a permit can be a bit dodgy. You also might try the Grouse Ridge/Emigrant Gap area north of I80, no permits needed there. You also might look at Emigrant Wilderness just east of the Dodge Ridge Ski area. Permits are easy to get and there are plenty of lakes and relatively easy backpacking. Lots of possibilities. :)

--F.G. Dave

wineslob
07-02-2014, 09:34 AM
The back country around Yosemite is also a possibility. Right now the lakes at elevations around 6000' are getting pretty warm (Grouse Ridge) and the fish are down deep. Think "middle of the lake".

trouterfan1
07-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Carson pass trail. Winnemuca lake, woods lake, round top lake. Picturesque hike which isn't too difficult.

Mike O
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
just as a head's up...if you are putting this around next weekend (11-12) there is a Boy Scout Troop doing Round Lake that weekend.

Bob Loblaw
07-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Look at Desolation Wilderness. Take the Echo lake taxi and hike in from there, Camp at Lake of the Woods and from there you have your choice od a dozen fishable lakes close by....some with Goldens!

dickwhite
07-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Here's some updated info on Desolation:
Permits midweek are pretty easy to get online. Only some Fridays and Saturdays were closed out as of a couple of days ago.
Many of the lakes going in from the Echo Lakes trailhead have had all the fish removed for the Sierra YL frog.
More fishing from the Bay View Trail or Tahoe Yosemite Trail from Meeks Bay.

Carson Pass - Meiss Meadows to Showers Lake. Not far to drive - Great scenery, some good fishing & amazing wildflowers. Just a stove permit needed.

Carson Iceberg from Hwy 4 - Lower elevation will be warm - East Carson/Silver King You'd have the place to yourself. Have fun

Rock Creek (Tom's Place off 395)- If you want high country. Easy hike in, tons of lakes, loads of brookies. Great scenery and flowers.

Dick White
Tahoma CA
PS - Desolation is my back yard.

Fly Guy Dave
07-06-2014, 07:20 PM
FYI- I would suggest you avoid Silver King, as the part of the stream you can legally fish is currently fishless, due to the Paiute Trout restoration going on. However, Dick's other suggestions and info are solid. :)

wineslob
07-07-2014, 08:37 AM
+1 On Lake of the Woods. HOWEVER it gets pounded pretty hard on weekends. If you do go there, go up the hill behind it and cross-country it to American. Fish the outlet (north end of American) at Aloha's dam in the evening...............