PDA

View Full Version : Pitayero Crew=Baja Big Game Trip

Hatch
06-30-2014, 05:02 PM
I am just back from my annual hosted Baja Big Game trip with Gary Bulla in La Ventana. We have, for years, gone in September in search of Yellowfin Tuna and Dorado along with the myriad of inshore species. This year my group wanted to go earlier in hopes of targeting Roosterfish. The BAD news was that with the total lack of Sardinas, the Roosters were scarce. The GOOD news was that the Dorado fishing was good to incredible depending on the day. Out of the 12 anglers that came down with me, nine had personal bests with fish in the 40# plus class showing up every day. Two of my guys had fish close to 50#s that came unbuttoned at the boat after very long battles.

With the absence of Sardina, the traditional baitfish of the area, we were forced to fish Ballyhoo(Halfbeak) patterns. When the Dodos came in "hot" the best flies were Crease flies and Ben Byng Balsa Poppers. When the Dorado got picky, the fly of choice was either a Charlie's Airhead/Ballyhoo pattern or a silver/white Game Changer.
We tried almost every day for Roosters inshore and they showed only a few times and were TOUGH to fool. Sam Yee was the KING with 3 landed, all on his crazy Ballyhoo mylar tube fly. I got bit several times (Ranchero) and finally caught mine on a Game Changer style fly.

As a group, we had a great time down there. Gary Bulla has assembled an amazing group of guides(aka pangeros). And Baja Joe's, despite being Joe-less this year, is a great place to stay.

I need to thank ALL the guys who joined me this year along with some industry folk:
Tim Fox----You are awesome.
Marcos Galvan----Thank you a bazillion for all your help and your family's sweet reels.
Jamie Lyle---- Sage-Redington rods are just plain and simply Bad Ass! Enough said!
Aaron Stiny---- Rio lines, especially the OBS series, has changed the way we fish and made it easy for big animals!
Woody Wood and Bill Paupart---- Costa Sunglasses---- you have taken great care of me and all my people. Best On The Water Eyewear available by far and the whole fishing world wants a pair. You guys rock!

HATCH

Darian
06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Hey, Hey!!! Sounds like you guys had a really good trip in spite of the lack of Sardina's. Great pic's too. :cool:

I'm curious to find out how the tube version Ballyhoo fly held up?? I tied a similar version a few years ago but have never put it in the water.

Lew Riffle
07-01-2014, 06:19 AM
Pitayero Crew= true fly fishers! It's not easy to be up beat when the usual game of capitan throwing chum for you does not come about because there is no sardina around. To hook up on a rooster in these conditions is tough because most of the takes vector straight from behind and it takes a lucky turn of the the fish and a good angle to get it hooked in the corner of the mouth where it will stick. Maybe not a trip of a lifetime but a trip in a lifetime of trips and that is what matters. Thanks for the post and you sharing what patterns you found that worked.
Lew