PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Coast

wineslob
06-25-2014, 08:08 AM
I'm going to be in Lincoln City the last week of July on vacation. I've done some Google "leg work" for fishing opportunities but would also like some insight from anyone familiar with the area.

I may have a day to go and try a local stream or two, or maybe see some Steelhead/ Cutt action (Siletz River). Something within an hour or so is probably good. Fly selection for this?

Don't bother with guides, I don't have the funds, but I'd rather "find my own way" to a stream if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-25-2014, 09:13 AM
You might find some Sea run Cuts near a river.

Also there are some good lakes with bass in them along the ocean.

Try the Caddis Fly Shop in Eugene?

http://www.caddisflyshop.com/

Larry S
06-25-2014, 09:54 AM
ws,
Check out http://www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/

You might also think about surf fishing. Enjoy your stay!
Best,
Larry S

SeanO
06-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Nestucca or Siletz rivers will have summer run steelhead.

Ned Morris
06-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Florence is about 1-1/2 hours south and has several lakes with good Cutthroat/Bass/Crappie fishing. May be a little early for true Sea-Run Cutts as Sept. usually the rule. Go Crabbing!!!!

wineslob
06-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Oh, we've looked up the crabbing! We will be staying with friends only about a block or so from the beach.

TY for the ideas!

Reese
06-25-2014, 04:50 PM
The Siltez is one of the better coastal rivers for steelhead. The summer run is even more prolific than the winter. I used to live in Oregon and we'd always try to get out there a couple times a year. If you have a boat and can drift, the section from Moonshine Park down to the town of Siletz is really great. If you will be wading, the access is a little tricker. During the week you're relegated to the public parks and the few turn outs along the highway. But on the weekends, you can drive up above Moonshine Park on the logging road for some fantastic runs and holes. Almost all the traditional steelhead flies work. I've had good success with blues and pinks as well as indicator with an egg and stonefly underneath (I'll admit it!). Because the upper section is only open on the weekends, it can get pretty busy. But in my experience, most people don't start showing up until an hour or so after sunrise and everyone respects your spot once you pull the car over.

Good luck!

wineslob
06-26-2014, 08:02 AM
Ya I saw the weekend thing online. We'll be there weekday only, no boat.

I'll probably check out the Highway access.