PDA

View Full Version : Main Drug Store in Loomis, California

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Joe Patterson (retired Cortland Rep), Jim Victorine (rod builder) and other old timers have lunch here almost daily.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/main-drug-store-loomis

We will be heading up there some day to have lunch with them.

James W
06-23-2014, 06:07 AM
I can't believe such a thing still exists, let alone in my back yard.
Those used to be in every single town in America.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-23-2014, 07:50 AM
When I was a kid (~50-60 years ago) just south of the Sacramento Zoo is a little shopping center that was the grocery store,with a drug store, cleaners, variety store, barber shop and there was a soda fountain too.

I small towns in California you might still find things like they were 50 years ago.

In the mid-west you will find many small towns that have had very little change too.

James W
06-26-2014, 06:06 AM
Yes, but so many small towns in the Midwest are just boarded up and abandoned now, a road trip can be so very depressing.

Sad. A tiny but important part of America's soul has died off.

I always like to stop in tiny towns for supplies or a meal when I'm traveling now.

ownfl4g
08-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Main St Drug store, we used to go in there and get a cold soda from the original soda fountain bar when we were little rat kids. I often think about that drug store, it really is a gem and I really hope it's preserved for years to come, same goes for the hardware store. I honestly didn't know they served lunch, might have to try it out sometime.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Some small farming towns in the mid-west are doing well now because the AG is doing well now.

Corn for Ethanol is a big deal..........

Charles Won
08-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi Billy:

Jim Victorine repaired a bamboo rod for me, and it was literally a requirement to have lunch there in order to get the rod back. He did an amazing job. Joe Patterson was there too. Remarkable bunch. They aren't stuffy - they are a very warm and welcoming group of cool dudes. Grub is cheap and you get history/knowledge/entertainment in an awesome small-town mom and pop place for free! Makes me want to document our local history ...