PDA

View Full Version : Lassen Nat'l Park - fly fishing

EricO
06-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Wondering if anyone has float tubed any of the lakes in Lassen Nat'l Park?

You don't hear much about it, but there sure are a LOT of lakes and
it looks to have a nice trail system judging by the maps.

Not interested in Manzanita...want to pack/hike in to get away from the crowds.

Any info is appreciated.

EO

jack_salmon99
06-16-2014, 08:01 PM
This is really really old information but it might be worth asking the park personnel if Ridge Lakes are still supporting a brook trout population. Last time I was there was in 1976. Fish on every cast. The trailhead is about a mile past the south entrance station.

jack_salmon99
06-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Here is another idea (not stillwater though). Hat Creek rises in Lassen Volcanic National Park. It flows past Summit Lake Campground. I walked up to Cascade Springs and saw lots of fish where the stream meanders through the meadows. I backpack electrofished a short section back in the mid-70s (this for a senior project when attending Humboldt State Univ. fisheries program) and I remember the trout were abundant.

If regulations allow it, fish up or downstream from the highway. It won't take long to find solitude.

EricO
06-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Cool, thanks man.

There are so many lakes in Lassen NP, but you just never hear much about them.

EO

Fly Guy Dave
06-17-2014, 11:27 AM
EO-

There are some nice lakes in the Caribou Wilderness, just east of Lassen Park, which provide some quality angling, as well as lots of solitude. At least that was my experience. :)

--F.G. Dave

jack_salmon99
06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Check out these blurbs on the Lassen Volcanic National Park website
http://www.nps.gov/lavo/naturescience/fish.htm
also
http://www.nps.gov/lavo/planyourvisit/outdooractivities.htm#CP_JUMP_54782

wineslob
06-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Snag is good. (Rainbows) Where you come into the lake is a fairly large shallow area, but then it drops off toward the middle with good underwater ridges. Beware the afternoon "breeze", it's more like a gale.

Horseshoe is good too. Fish the lilly pads. The Bows hide under them. (Brooks and Bows I believe)

Both are near Juniper.

EricO
06-20-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Dave, the Caribou is on my list of to do's....lots of lakes in there! There was
an article on Cal Fly Fisher about the Caribou some years ago that said it can
be quite good.

EO

Fly Guy Dave
06-20-2014, 03:53 PM
I remember that article! It was the one that inspired me to get out there and see it for myself. I only sampled a small part of it, but it was worth it.

EricO
06-21-2014, 10:40 AM
I believe it's the smallest wilderness in California. Like 9 miles long x 5 miles wide.

My buddy fished it several years back, but it was August and quite hot so his catch
rate wasn't good.

I recall the article said the mosquitos were VORACIOUS. "Little vampires" was the term
the writer used. I have to get my butt up there...would be fun to hit a bunch of different
lakes with the tube strapped to the back and see what's cookin'.

Thanks for the reminder Dave!

Eric