PDA

View Full Version : North Umpqua River

Mike Stroud
06-16-2014, 08:28 AM
I've found myself in the middle of this beautiful section of the North Umpqua, above Rock Creek. My first time up here and wouldn't mind any tips, suggestions. Swinging, dead drift, ?
Summer run is heating up and I've seen some nice fish!

Blueracer
06-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Tips??? Screw dead drifting. Where you've seen fish swing flies through the runs and even on top. Keep it basic, they are summer run fish and you just have to find one willing to play.

What is the water level like

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Traditionally some think that the 4th of July is a starting date of the summer run steelhead to enter the longer drainages like the Klamath, Rogue and Umpqua Rivers.

Extremely early and late in the day with low light levels can be good to swing traditional dark winged steelhead patterns.

Look for springs, small cold tribs, shade and heavy riffles for fish to be holding.

I hear upstream they have some trout on the Umpqua.

Down stream below Interstate 5 it is famous for Shad and Smallmouth.

JasonB
06-17-2014, 06:51 AM
You're on the North Umpqua! What else could a man wish for, fish or not you're a lucky bastard to be there with your line in the water. Wish I were there right now.

As far as honest tips: With so much good potential holding water, I'd say it's key to cover a lot of it. Swinging flies can be very helpful in that regard, as it allows you to at least show your fly to any potential fish in a large area and keep moving along. If there are some active fish there you'll probably get some hints, if not move on.

Shade is just as nice for them as it is for us in the summer sun, so fish it.

While there is a lot of different types of water to fish there, I've found that a lot of it can be productive if you adjust your technique/presentation to fit the water. For instance, if you're fishing an area with some major bedrock ledge or boulder features, I like to think about how to get my fly to dangle in front of those spots (or alongside them) for a while. Sometimes that can take some time to figure out, but can pay off big time.

If you're already seeing fish, you're half way there already.

Good luck, enjoy your little slice of heaven
JB

koffler
07-03-2014, 05:28 PM
I used to fish it quite a bit. Early sesason I always did best with a size 4 or 6 purple muddler but probably because thats what I had the most confidence in. Life doesnt get much better than the N Umpqua. Back in the day you could indicator nymph it, ie puff ball it and with a big stone it was deadly. Probably good they altered the t
rules. Good luck.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-03-2014, 05:48 PM
I would be swinging the tail-outs as early as you can.

flyguy1
07-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Mike,get a hold of Rich Zelman, he is a local guide up there and that is his home water. I am sure he will get you into fish. Looks like you have been on a long fishing vacation. I would love to be up there with you.Good luck and let me know how you do.

Scott K

neck fat
07-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Mike,get a hold of Rich Zelman, he is a local guide up there and that is his home water. I am sure he will get you into fish. Looks like you have been on a long fishing vacation. I would love to be up there with you.Good luck and let me know how you do.

Scott K

why guide. live on own, find way, beter aproache. learrn from self stand