PDA

View Full Version : Increase Water Storage....

Darian
06-15-2014, 12:47 PM
On June 1st, the SacBee reported that there're several bills in the state legislature and one in Congress supporting construction of new reservoirs or increasing the size of others in CA at great expense. The article points out that not everyone supports these projects as they the potential benefits do not justify the cost and they do not provide additional water in significant amounts. Also, these new dams would not necessarily contribute in an increase in fish populations.

Proponents of the new construction say that the need for additional storage is absolutely necessary. Check it out:

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/01/6448005/should-california-use-taxpayer.html

IMO, we've gone crazy with the idea that bonded indebtedness will pay for everything and not result in increased taxes at some point in time.

SeanO
06-16-2014, 12:39 AM
In the link I found a quote I like...

“It almost feels like a fraud is being perpetrated on the public,” said Steve Evans

No doubt!

tascaso
06-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Unless you can make it rain, storage is useless. Of course, the way Sacramento works, they will build the storage and then dry up every river and trib to in order to have water for municipalities and to deliver to the desert down in Kern County. I sure hope we are not going into a long term drought but we could be; if so the California we know will change forever.

Lew Riffle
06-30-2014, 05:54 AM
Do not despair..the California we know has changed forever..it always has. Throughout this lastest drought the only thing that scares me is the fact of how fast reserves have been used. Was not Shasta pretty much full after 2010? It's not all going into Kern County and points south.

Darian
06-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Good points, Lew.... The only thing that scares me is the proposed BDCP. California has changed forever and will continue to do so as our population expands over the coming decades. Demands on all of our natural resources will increase at the same time. And, true, water is not all "....going to Kern County and points south." There're many ag, industrial and municipal users of delta water along the coast from the north bay thru San Luis Obispo.

The Delta is an example of the change you mention having been significantly altered over time to it's current state (no longer a salt water marsh). So, what is it that makes a project restoring the Delta to a long gone salt water marsh after diverting a large portion of fresh water that supplies/maintains it over a 50 year period desirable??? During the 50 year duration of the proposed BDCP, change in CA will accelerate due to increased demands on natural resources made by predicted population increases and development. Since we all acknowledge that this is a dynamic place, some accommodation has to be made to provide water to all (just not at potentially negative impacts on a major existing eco-system). But, a less political atmosphere/motive would make for a more realistic approach.