PDA

View Full Version : Happy Father's Day to All

Tony Buzolich
06-15-2014, 07:49 AM
My dad always had time to take me fishing. From the time I was old enough to hold a line and even before, dad had time to take me fishing. I remember tagging along to places he thought were a little too much for me but he'd always take me anyway.

In Folsom above the Rainbow bridge there used to be some kind of old power house that had a deep hole where he'd catch catfish while I played in the dirt and found bits of quicksilver. We used to drive right on down to the water at Negro bar and launch our old rowboat to fish the lake. We watched Folsom, Nimbus, and the hatchery all get built. Folsom used to be really good for blackbass right at the parking lot next to the dam. We used to drive right in to Rattlesnake Bar and fish and swim in all the driftwood as they were filling the lake.

We'd often go to the coast and poke pole around the rocks at Dillion's beach before it was called Lawson's landing. We'd go to fish off the piers at Santa Cruz and Fort Baker under the Golden Gate bridge. There he'd tie a rope around me and then to the front bumper of the old De Soto so I wouldn't fall in. There were no railings and you could just drive right on out there. We'd have a couple of crab traps going while fishing for whatever else bit on cut bait. We caught a lot of dogfish. SHARKS to me as a little kid.

Around ten we started fly fishing shad at the old Fair Oaks bridge. You used to drive on it too. Sometimes we'd drive right on down to the water on Pennsylvania Ave. and over the gravel to launch that old rowboat we had. There was no American River parkway.

The last time I got to fish with my dad was on my fourteenth birthday. He had gotten me a new spinning rod and D.A.M.Quick reel at Sears before there was an Arden Fair. We decided to go try it out at the new deep water channel they had just dug in West Sac. We'd sit on the bank casting chunks of fresh sardines we bought at Romeo's Bait on Del Paso Blvd. My rod was in a holder stuck in the ground. My dad was in front of his watching the rod tip waiting to move. He kept telling me to "watch my rod"," watch my rod", or something will grab it and pull it in. It was'nt long before my new bent over and I landed to biggest striper ever of about 15-20 lbs. What a way to christen a new rod on my fourteenth birthday.

I don't remember fishing with dad after that. He was sick with cancer and I never got to fish with him again.

So today, as you think of yourselves, remember to take time and take your kids fishing, no matter how old they are. And take time to remember your own old dad too, and if he's still around take him fishing as well.
Tony

jbird
06-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Great memories Tony! Thanks for sharing.

My pops died when I was 6 months old. Drown on the docks of Bethel Island after mysteriously suffering a concussion while doing the morning rounds of his House Boat business.

I have had a few "Substitute Dads" along the way. Tho my Heavenly Father has never left my side. And with that I say, Happy Fathers day one and all! I hope it's a special day doing what you love.
For me, I will settle in to enjoy the final round of the US Open while the thunder, rain and wind roars overhead :)... Perfect!

Bluegrass Bill
06-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories Tony which stirred my own similar ones. My Dad also always had time to take me fishing. For us it was striper fishing on the Sacramento, trolling or bait fishing at Folsom Lake for bass or catfish or our annual vacation up at Bucks lake trolling or bait fishing for trout. What wonderful memories! He never really got into fly fishing but it didn’t matter we had a ball. He passed away in 89 from lung cancer as a result of heavy smoking all his life. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to introduce my kids to fishing at an early age. They all love it and while they are at an age when they have little time for it right now I look forward to the time when they can join me on the water again more regularly. Fortunately I can take my grandson in the meantime. Happy Fathers day to all!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-15-2014, 10:29 AM
My dad, Fred Kiene, had a good life, dedicated to his family. After he retired he help me out at the shop. We got to go on some really good trips together, like Christmas Island and Belize. Boy do I miss him......thanks Tony.

I too have had many wonderful mentors from the Greatest Generation.