PDA

View Full Version : Past Time to Upgrade to a new float tube !

Bluegrass Bill
06-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Hi Folks, I am one of the old dinosaurs that still has one of the old donut float tubes. What a challenge to get in and out of! For some time I have been able to borrow a friends U shaped tube but I no longer have access to it as he has moved. Time to get my own and I am looking at the Fish Cat 4-LCS versus the Fish Cat 4 Deluxe LCS. I know the basic difference is the totally inflatable aspect of the Delux model. Any recommendations on these or any other similar ushaped tubes to consider would be be really appreciated. Thanks!

James W
06-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I upgraded to a Fat Cat last year, soooooo happy.
Went with the foam back and seat. Very comfy for hours on end.
Decided Fat Cat model over Fish Cat for the urethane bladder and Summit valve over vinyl bladder and Boston valve. Little bit bigger too.
I'm sure Kiene's has them both you can look at.
Not the least expensive way to go, TOTALLY worth it!

vaughn
06-14-2014, 12:25 PM
I highly recommend you look at a "SuperCat" http://www.supercat.us/

The Super Fat Cat is great (I had one for many years) and was considering buying another after my side adjustment straps finally ripped out. Then I looked into the SuperCat- purchased one 3 years ago and no looking back. This is the best, most versatile craft I've ever fished from. Durable, stable, and convertible back-pack mode which I use often. The other main difference is that you can purchase the oar package. I don't use the oars very often, but it's nice having that capability- you don't have that option with the Super Fat Cat. Three different sizes as well. They are more expensive tho...

jbird
06-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Hi Bill
I have passed many hundred hours in float tubes. My recent purchase of a hybrid was the best move Ive made. I found it on sale for $349 last winter http://creekcompany.com/product.php?productid=16318

I love how high I sit in it and am blown away by how easily and quickly it rows. And the control with fins is just like a float tube. Really wish Id had this when I lived near Klamath lake.

Bluegrass Bill
06-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Wow, I have just had my bar raised quite a bit reading about both the SuperCat and the Hybrid. Really appreciate the suggestions and links as well. Boy you really got a deal on yours Jay! I not considered any kind of pontoon boat byt really like the idea of being able to row to cover some distance and have good control with my fins. I'll have to ponder this new information, thanks guys :)

JAM
06-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Bill,

My Supercat is more than fifteen years old and still going strong. Very light weight! The CreekCompany
pontoon is on sale @ Cabelas right now. Which ever decision you make, keep in mind overall weight
transport ease, and storage constraints. Talk to people who own them and see them first before ordering.

Good Luck.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-15-2014, 10:35 AM
I would look at going up to Outcast's best v-boat series, the Fat Cat @ $379 (foam seat & foam backrest) or the Super Fat Cat @ $449 (inflatable seat & inflatable backrest).

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/default.aspx?series=3

betty
06-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Hey Bill
What Vaughn said above. I agree. Email Charlie S. he has two sizes, for his recommendation. Basically if you want to be able to row, my opinion is to get the 5 ft tubes. If not, get the shorter , 4ft one.

Without rowing frame 14 lbs. with rowing frame, 17 lbs. shorter one easier to carry with backpack straps that are on the boat.

Good luck. There's no perfect boat.
Betty

Bluegrass Bill
06-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Hey Betty,
Thanks for your reply and advice. I had a nice conversation with Charlie this morning. He has had his Super Cat for almost 20 years. I know he got you into one as well. I will send you an e-mail later today. Thanks!
Bill

walthers
06-17-2014, 12:02 PM
I upgraded to a Fat Cat last year, soooooo happy.
Went with the foam back and seat. Very comfy for hours on end.
Decided Fat Cat model over Fish Cat for the urethane bladder and Summit valve over vinyl bladder and Boston valve. Little bit bigger too.
I'm sure Kiene's has them both you can look at.
Not the least expensive way to go, TOTALLY worth it!

I agree. I have a Fish Cat and although it is comfortable, I have gone through two different bladders due to leaks and a buddy of mine had to replace one if his as well.

Scott V
06-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Fat Cat
Super Fat Cat
Super Fat Cat

I would get one if I could afford it. I love my Fish Cat 4's and would love to upgrade to the Super Fat Cat. Buy that and you will never need another tube.

gene goss
06-17-2014, 02:04 PM
I have a Outcast fat cat, and a Fish Cat, both have foam seats. I weigh 170 lbs so weight isn't a problem.....but.....when the wind starts blowing real hard i like my Fish Cat with a lower profile to kick into a wind.

loose_shoes
06-18-2014, 09:56 AM
I've have used a FatCat on a few occasions. The foam seat is quite comfortable but the problem comes in when it is time to leave after fishing. When you are packing it up you have to deal with a fair amount of retained water. The pocket that the foam seat goes into will need to be carefully emptied out and the foam will hold some water for a while before it dries. My impression was that I had to deal with a lot more "sogginess" than I cared for with the FatCats. My preference is to be able re-pack as compactly, dry-ly, cleanly and quickly as possible. In cold weather this is much more important. Perhaps someone who owns one can comment better on how they deal with packing up a wet FatCat.

I own 2 SuperCats and have had one of them for about 20 years. It is still in great shape. I think they are a terrific fishing platforms but I'd like to see the manufacturer put some effort into incremental improvements to the design and accessories.

Bluegrass Bill
06-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Wow, my head is spinning with all these options, fish cat, super cat, Fat Cat, super fat cat. And those are just the “cat options”. :) Right now I am leaning to the Super Cat because of the rowing option for or dropping to selected spots in the delta and it is still fairly easy to transport in the back of my Toyota bed and camper shell.

tascaso
06-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I love my cat! I opted for the inflatable seat version. The foam retains some water and then you are dripping.

-Tony

vaughn
06-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Bill, the moisture factor is far less an issue with the SuperCat- one quick wipe with a towel an your good to go... the other nice feature, and one seldom discussed is the height adjustment. I set the height of the SuperCat to the wind and wave conditions- setting my center of gravity lower in wind which helps to reduce the sail effect... The adjustment allows for only 3-4" of travel, but it's remarkable what a difference that makes. For me, the upper setting keeps my thighs out of the water, and with the lowest setting puts them about half way in the water.

Bluegrass Bill
06-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Vaughn, Look for a pm from me. I am getting closer all the time to making the investment on the Supercat. Thanks!

Ed Wahl
06-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Bill, I've been using a Supercat for a few years now and am very happy with it. The big deal for me is the ability to strap it on my back and go anywhere with it. It kicks along pretty quickly too.
Ed