PDA

View Full Version : Coloma-South Fork American

njbeast
06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Going up to the S. Fork American river in Coloma on Mt. Murphy Rd. this weekend. Any info as to flies etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have never fished this area before. Thanks in advance

Bob Loblaw
06-09-2014, 09:42 AM
I stayed at the Coloma Resort last year on a school camp trip and gave the river a shot in the morning with no luck. Just upstream from the resort there are some good pools and riffles but it all depends on when the rafting water is released. A big pulse of water is released every morning from Chili Bar for the rafters and it really changes the river. I was a little nervous wading not knowing if the water was going to suddenly rise or not.

I snorkeled the river later in the day and didn't see a single fish. I think that section gets hammered.

JasonB
06-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Fishing the SFA in the Coloma area during summer weekends will be an exercise in patience to say the least. There are tons and tons and tons of rafts, kayaks, tubes, and other random floating things all careening about in a state of general chaos. Early morning, before the release can be good, and late in the evening is usually fairly pleasant otherwise you should be prepared to be overwhelmed by people. For some reason there has been quite an uptick in angler presence on that section as of late too, which honestly I don't think that section has the numbers to justify. If you get tired of the crowds I recommend driving up hwy 50 a ways and fishing the upper reaches. Smaller fish in general, but a lot more of them and MUCH, MUCH nicer water to fish.
Good luck either way,
JB

Dave E.
06-09-2014, 10:50 AM
This might have something to do with the recent increase in interest.

CA Dept Fish & Wildlife Stocking report.
Week of: 5/25/2014
County: Eldorado
American River South Fork, Coloma

Dave

JasonB
06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Ahhh, that does explain it.

njbeast
06-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Well...that was interesting...fished Friday morning and evening during the low flows. No bugs on the water anywhere so I tried some nymphs. Had on drive-by and saw only one fish in the deep pool above the campground. Saturday tried the same in the am....no luck. Was joined by a buddy and he also was skunked. Flows went back up Saturday evening. Turned over rocks and saw nothing...no dries, no bugs...not even water bugs. Someone told me a kid using a salmon egg caught a 17 inch brown in the big pool Saturday afternoon. Tough fishing, but my new Redington 3wt pack rod was very nice. Tried my buddy's Scott 3wt which was a little stiffer...nicer for nymphs in the fast water but not as delicate with the dries. Didn't have a car so my exploration was limited. Been a tough month with the passing of my dad so it was nice to be on the water.