PDA

View Full Version : Drift Boat -Rod Storage-Thoughts

M Duper
06-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Wondering if anyone has ever used this rod storage tube/add on? I've attached a link to the Hyde site. It says that it will also work in most drift boats. Looks as though you could also purchase the hardware and PVC pipe at Lowes or Home Depot? Any thoughts?

http://hydeoutdoors.com/onlineflyshop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=287

BumpBailey
06-09-2014, 02:51 PM
I purchased a Hyde last year and I love the rod tubes. I took my buddy out last fall and he did as well. Went for stripers out in the Delata with him a few weeks back and lo and behold... he made his own tubes for his Klammath. He went to Home Depot and bought some PVC pipe and hose clamps and made his own. If you want to really trick them out, I believe you can purchase the nylon "socks" from Hyde so that you can put two rods in one tube..... they have a devider running down the length of them so that you can actually store two rods per tube.

Lincoln Gray
06-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I have owned and guided out of a Hyde for years. I replaced my rod socks (inner liner) with "Rod Socks" The work very well.

SeanO
06-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Looks brilliant!

I might just make some for my sled.

Best,

M Duper
06-10-2014, 06:54 PM
What's the difference between the rod socks and the "Rod Socks" Lincoln? I'm wondering if I should go with 2" PVC pipe. Plus what's the connecting hardware that makes the most sense for a fiberglass boat (Clakacraft). Looks as though the connectors in the picture are some kind of rivet? Anybody know? I'll take some pictures of the project and post them too.

SeanO
06-10-2014, 07:41 PM
The connectors pictured look like aluminum pop rivets that you can get from a big box store or a specialty store like Fastenal. The depth of your substrate will determine how long the rivets need to be; you can measure the depth after drilling the hole.

Pop rivets have some serious holding power and are pretty easy to install yourself. You just need the gun. I'll loan you mine if you want to come and get it from Woodland.

Best,

What's the difference between the rod socks and the "Rod Socks" Lincoln? I'm wondering if I should go with 2" PVC pipe. Plus what's the connecting hardware that makes the most sense for a fiberglass boat (Clakacraft). Looks as though the connectors in the picture are some kind of rivet? Anybody know? I'll take some pictures of the project and post them too.

Lincoln Gray
06-13-2014, 07:49 AM
I already had the tubes installed. When the factory liners went bye bye, I drilled out the rivet, pulled the tubes out, removed the liners, riveted the tubes back in and replaced with the following:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XTSRod-Socks/product/1205300955/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=1205300955%26adc=pg_315_11128_5282c122e4b006f 67e95b7a3_41411271631

I purchased mine at Sportsman's Warehouse. They work very well.

In my last "LG Fly Fishing News" you can clearly see them in my boat. They are blue. I wish I would have purchased black, but they did not have the black in the 2".

http://stillwaterflyfishingadventures.com/home/lgs_fly_fishing_news

I hope this helps

M Duper
06-14-2014, 05:57 AM
Got it. I'm looking at 1-1/2" schedule 40 for the tubes. What are the lengths of your tubes?

Lincoln Gray
06-17-2014, 08:28 AM
They are approximately 4' to 5' long.