PDA

View Full Version : We lost one of our own Monday - Shigspeed

Scott V
06-03-2014, 07:35 AM
Monday afternoon Shigspeed AKA Scott Shigashi lost his battle with cancer. Not many knew but Shig had been fighting cancer for a year or so. For those that knew Shig, he was a great man, a great father, a great brother, and a loving husband. Words can not express what he meant to so many. He is a kind and wonderful person with a heart of gold. Never one to turn away a friend or a stranger. He took me to places I would have never gone if it wasn't for him pushing me. He took me to my first golden trout, for which I will always be thankful. He took me and taught me about how to be a great backpacker and he also taught me what a good friend can be. It pains me to know that I will never have my buddy with me again in body on the water and on the trail. But he will always be with me in spirit. With life you never know what to expect or what can happen, but because of him I will always live in the moment and cherish every memory we have made together. Rest in Peace my buddy, I look forward to seeing you again in the future on a stream up their sky high.

David Lee
06-03-2014, 07:46 AM
I am shocked - Shig was a good guy , I had no idea he had been ill .

Condolences to Scotts' Family and Friends -

David

Terry Thomas
06-03-2014, 07:47 AM
I knew Scott from the shop, good guy. Sorry to hear about the news.

Jeff C.
06-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Sorry to heard about Scott. Thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. RIP!

Larry S
06-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Shared a few PM's and emails with Scott. He was one of the most helpful members of the Kiene fourm.
Best to his family and friends. He will be missed by so many.
Best to all,
Larry S

jbird
06-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Oh man, so sorry to here that :( I recall him mentioning the "C" word one time in a post a couple years ago. I had always wondered how things had gone with treatment. His continued participation without another mention of it made me think he'd kicked the "old man"

Thoughts and prayers for his family

BobVP
06-03-2014, 08:54 AM
I only shared emails and communication on this forum with him but even through that limited contact I could tell he was one of the good ones.
My condolences to those of you that new him well and my thanks to Scott for the kind words of sendoff.

k9mark
06-03-2014, 09:16 AM
That is very tragic news. We conversed a few times and always enjoyed his conversations.

Jake O
06-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Sad new, prayers go out to his family. Always enjoyed reading his posts as it seemed like he had a true enthusiasm for the sport, the outdoors, and life in general. All the good ones go to soon.

Bob G
06-03-2014, 09:21 AM
So very sorry to hear the news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Bob

Mark Kranhold
06-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Wow! It seems like I just read a report about him fishing from his float tube. I remember him mentioning he had cancer in a post , but it seemed like he had been doing well. Condolences to Shigs family and his posts will be greatly missed. RIP Shigspeed!

EricO
06-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear that Scott. I really enjoyed reading your fishing reports and pics of the high country
lakes you guys visited together. You guys put in some serious miles.

My sympathies to you and his family. Sad to hear.

Eric

gene goss
06-03-2014, 10:33 AM
This is sad......i enjoyed the couple of times that i fished with him, but most of all i enjoyed reading all the posts.

k.hanley
06-03-2014, 10:46 AM
True loss. Prayers to Shig's family and friends.

Respectfully, Ken

Kneedeep
06-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Very saddened by this news. He was a gifted contributor/developer and will greatly missed.
My condolences to is family and friends.

Jeff Stephens
06-03-2014, 11:32 AM
So sad, had some conversations with Sig when he found a good friend of mines Fly Box back in Dec on Lake Alamnor He went above and beyond to get it back to him up in Penyrn..Just shows the type of person he was. Prayers for his family ...

FRSam
06-03-2014, 12:13 PM
I learned of this yesterday through Jonny B, I had no idea he was battling cancer. Although I never got the chance to meet him I felt like I knew him through this forum. He loved the high country...you can't get much higher than you are now Shig or surrounded by any better company.
My thoughts and condolences for all his friends and family.

Pete
FeatherRiverSam

Ned Morris
06-03-2014, 01:22 PM
This is sad news. I never knew Scott but always enjoyed his posts and seemed to me he was always up for an adventure and challenge no matter. No questioning he knew and loved the High Sierras and all the Trout that inhabit it's waters. Scott clearly had a zest for adventure and with some of his recent posts seems like almost to the end. Shig, may you be up there in the highest Alpine Lake of all catching the largest of heavenly jeweled Trout. You will be missed by very many.

aaron
06-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Wow, had no idea. Safe travels to the other side Scott.

Larry S
06-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Here's a fitting tribute to the zest and energy that Shig possessed. He clearly was one to live his life to
the fullest.
Best to all,
Larry S

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project&p=129596&highlight=#post129596

Troutstalker55B
06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Scott was such a good dude, I'm a bit crushed right now and in the last 10 years cancer has taken away more good friends and family than I care to admit. Shig always had a stillwater question for me, we would go back and forth through various emails about the finer points of Lake Davis. We planned a trip at LD for the end of June knowing his cancer was going to get worse, I wish we could have done it sooner. Yeah, he'll be with us in spirit when we are fishing, not some of the time, but all the time.

Shigspeed forever.

Fly Guy Dave
06-03-2014, 04:09 PM
I never had the privilege of meeting Scott face to face, but only via PMs and the like. Definitely one of the good guys. A helpful, humble and creative man. He will be sorely missed. My best to his family, friends and all who knew him.

Mike O
06-03-2014, 04:15 PM
I don't know what to say...so I will say, Peace

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-03-2014, 05:33 PM
He had one of our most popular posts ever, reaching 39,690 views and 219 comments.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project&highlight=shig

tcorfey
06-03-2014, 06:42 PM
That is really a loss. From what I read of his posts on the website he was quite an innovator and always seemed very helpful.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Ed Wahl
06-03-2014, 08:58 PM
Terribly sad news. He'd beaten it back so many times I just assumed he'd do it again. Doing all he did while battling cancer makes him the toughest guy I've ever known.

While fishing Seco a couple of years ago Shig wanted to see my view of the fish when I stand up in my pram so out there in the middle of the bay, wearing waders and with a rod in hand he stood up with a foot on each side of his tube. What was equally amazing was that he managed to sit back down again without falling in.

Missing him already.

Ed

Blueracer
06-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Bill - If it isn't asking too much..can the superlight packin tube thread be made a sticky? Thank you for considering. -Bryan

He had one of our most popular posts ever, reaching 39,690 views and 219 comments.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?21680-SHig-s-Superlight-Packin-tube-Project&highlight=shig

Bluegrass Bill
06-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Like many on this board I enjoyed and will miss the posts shared by Scott. When someone like Scott or just recently Bill Lowe passes away it is a reminder to all of us that our time on earth will also come to an end and none of us are guaranteed any more time than we already have been given. I’m sure that seems like a stupid, obvious statement but we all like to put that thought in the very back of our minds. When people we know pass away it comes more into focus.

In discussions on this topic many folks make comments like “just means you need to get out there and fish every possible chance you can.” These are times when it is important to remind everybody just how short our time on earth is compared to eternity. Even if we live to a ripe old age of say 90 fishing all that time, it is just a “spec” of time compared to eternity. It is really important, critical actually that everybody look at their life and understands there is a God, he created everything and the decisions we make during our short lifetime here determine how and where we spend eternity.

As a Christian I know when I do leave this world I will be going to a “wonderful place nicer than the most beautiful trout waters anywhere in the world! “ I know that sounds kind of crazy but it is true. It will not happen because of any “wonderful, good things” I have done in my life. It will happen because I have my faith in Christ as my savior for his death on the cross for my sins and all the sins of mankind everywhere. There is more to being a Christian than just that belief but that is where it all starts.

I wanted to share this e-mail with my fly fishing friends here while the passing of Scott and Bill Lowe are fresh in our minds. I do not know where everybody stands with their beliefs but hope you know there is a God who created everything and a savior Jesus Christ who died for our sins so that we have the opportunity for salvation and a wonderful eternal life when we pass from this earthly life. I would be very happy to communicate with any of you further on the subject of Christianity or my faith as a Christian or anything related via e-mail or personal message as well.

Many thanks to Keene’s board and to all of you affected by the passing of a fly fishing friend for letting me share my faith here with all of you. Im closing I want to share two bible verses with you here.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Thanks again, Bluegrassbillward@gmail.com

joshfish
06-04-2014, 06:09 PM
I also never got to meet shig in person. Converesed on the board and followed his tube project. Would have love to see his pram project come to life. My heart goes out to his family and friends. He will definately be missed.

jbird
06-04-2014, 06:18 PM
Like many on this board I enjoyed and will miss the posts shared by Scott. When someone like Scott or just recently Bill Lowe passes away it is a reminder to all of us that our time on earth will also come to an end and none of us are guaranteed any more time than we already have been given. I’m sure that seems like a stupid, obvious statement but we all like to put that thought in the very back of our minds. When people we know pass away it comes more into focus.

In discussions on this topic many folks make comments like “just means you need to get out there and fish every possible chance you can.” These are times when it is important to remind everybody just how short our time on earth is compared to eternity. Even if we live to a ripe old age of say 90 fishing all that time, it is just a “spec” of time compared to eternity. It is really important, critical actually that everybody look at their life and understands there is a God, he created everything and the decisions we make during our short lifetime here determine how and where we spend eternity.

As a Christian I know when I do leave this world I will be going to a “wonderful place nicer than the most beautiful trout waters anywhere in the world! “ I know that sounds kind of crazy but it is true. It will not happen because of any “wonderful, good things” I have done in my life. It will happen because I have my faith in Christ as my savior for his death on the cross for my sins and all the sins of mankind everywhere. There is more to being a Christian than just that belief but that is where it all starts.

I wanted to share this e-mail with my fly fishing friends here while the passing of Scott and Bill Lowe are fresh in our minds. I do not know where everybody stands with their beliefs but hope you know there is a God who created everything and a savior Jesus Christ who died for our sins so that we have the opportunity for salvation and a wonderful eternal life when we pass from this earthly life. I would be very happy to communicate with any of you further on the subject of Christianity or my faith as a Christian or anything related via e-mail or personal message as well.

Many thanks to Keene’s board and to all of you affected by the passing of a fly fishing friend for letting me share my faith here with all of you. Im closing I want to share two bible verses with you here.

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Thanks again, Bluegrassbillward@gmail.com

A thousand thumbs up! :) :)

Phil Synhorst
06-04-2014, 08:47 PM
What a kick in the gut.
I never got to meet Scott, except through the forum and pm's. IMHO, he was one Hell of a Guy. Did a lot of fishing that should make a lot of us(myself included) embarrassed that we haven't done/don't do, while putting up a damn good fight at the same time. On top of that, the Engineer in him always kept him going, making his own super light weight tube, trying to design and build a pram, rod racks, etc. And, he was always(as far as I know) willing to help a person who asked.

Scott, good on ya for all that you did and tried to do. I'll heft a wee dram in your honor.

My condolences to his family and friends.

jayclarkflyfishing
06-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Cancer sucks...godspeed Shig. Condolences to his friends and family. First fish today is in your honor.

Jay

RenoLipRipper
06-06-2014, 07:06 AM
Very sad news, I too had a few emails and PMs back and forth with him. He is up there catching hundreds of 12# browns on his favorite lake or river.

fishnbeatsworkin
06-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Scott was a class act. I'm sad to hear he couldn't beat the cancer. I never met him personally but I have one of his float tubes and we PM'd and emailed fishing reports. I will say Scott V is paying it forward, Just like _SHig would get him out on the water, I posted one time about getting skunked at Lake Davis and Scott V pm'd me and we hooked up for a day of fishing. Now I'll have to pay it forward to someone else. RIP _SHig

Bob Scheidt
06-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Very sad, but thanks for posting this Scott. When I first started looking at Shig's ultralite float tube posts, I thought- man this guy has got it going on! He must have an engineering background and then some. I thought- wow, there are some smart people in this world. Obviously a very talented man, one we needed to keep around.
Bob

GreggW
06-16-2014, 12:21 PM
So sorry to hear this. I only knew Shig through his posts. His love of the sport and his desire to innovate were so apparent. Reading about the development of his ultralight float tube was highly entertaining. I would eagerly await his next post to see how it was developing. He seemed like such a great guy and I would loved to have met him. Now I am kicking myself that I didn't get off my hind end and buy one of his tubes. Scott - Thank you for your eloquent writing about your loss. The good ones seem to go way too soon.
Gregg

Blueracer
06-16-2014, 03:36 PM
I pulled some of the better pictures I have from outings with Shig.

Just click: https://plus.google.com/photos/113996534105731472308/albums/6021681623828871281

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8DFfPk7dMYI/U5FPnyeBBXI/AAAAAAAAO90/6_kVktNXpq0/w1148-h861-no/78.JPG

DFrink
07-01-2014, 12:58 PM
I haven't been on here for some time, life got sort of busy, I just read this news. When I first got into fly fishing I used to read post written by SHig, he influenced me greatly. He and I shared numerous PM's, and even eventually fished together. He was a very kind person. This is very sad news, and sad I missed the services. RIP SHig!