PDA

View Full Version : summer escapes

mems
06-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Aloha, fishing here in hawaii has been wonderful. Lots of ono, mahi and now the ahi have shown up early. Bonefishing has been consistant, then why go somewhere else? You don't leave fish to find fish. But I am heading to san diego tomorrow and then off to baja for roosters and mahi with Jay Murakoshi. I am taking my son on a father's day trip. He has been boning up on his spanish, but I told him I only need two phrases, Que Pez Gallo?, and Dos Cervesa por favor. Mexico is the best experience for salt water on the cheap, and the waters are flat. Perfect for my son who gets seasick here in hawaii. On the second week I have a group of crazy fly guys from Oregon who fished with me on Christmas Island last year. There shold be some empty tequilla bottles in mexico.
After that it is off to Montana for some trout fishing. We will be on rock creek and all over the bitteroot drainage. I plan on hitting kellly creek and some other streams in idaho and eastern washington. I will post some pictures when we get back. I hope everyone has a great summer and gets out on the water. Mems.

FISHEYE
06-02-2014, 12:40 PM
I am looking forward to the reports Don. Looks like Mex has kind of been a bust for big roosters so far, but hopefully they show up for you and your son.

As far as summer escaping, we had an amazing April and May- warm and sunny and we set records. The problem then became fires. The Funny River fire so far on the Kenai burned about 198,000 acres. We all prayed to the god of fish for cold and rain and we got it. It has rained every day for about a week and so far today the temp is a boiling 47. This just goes to show you can't have it all.

I am looking forward to Mexico next year. I had to miss a year due to back surgery and based on the reports I am glad I did. I know it will be mo betta next yer and my dilemma now is 2 weeks or 3. Jay does offer one of the best deals anywhere for this type of fishing.

jbird
06-02-2014, 01:49 PM
have a great trip Don! Its hard to miss when fishing with your son ;)

Be safe!

Jim May
06-02-2014, 05:49 PM
Hey Don
I hope you have a great trip sounds like fishing is improving.Be sure and post reports I'll be down there July 1-8th can't wait!!
Jim May

Baja Fly Fisher
06-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Don,

Can't wait for you to get here so we can meet in person. The dorado fishing has picked up somewhat. More bigger fish are being caught on fly. Today we had on around 25lbs+ and my boat partner broke off one around the same. We also had a couple shots at a couple big roosters today. He actually hooked up but lost it. I'm having a wrist problem some I'm trying to cast "spey" style without bending my right wrist. I'm really in the boat to shoot video and take photos for a new video that I will post on Vimeo once completed. Tomorrow most of the boats plan on trolling for wahoo by the island. The conventional guys did well today, I saw 5 on the beach being cleaned. No one has really tried around the light house for roosters but they have been catching a few trolling big lady fish. My rods are staying in my room tomorrow and just watching my boat partner hook into a wahoo and the long fight. And to think that the "teener" dorado were hard to bring in :-) Wait until that wahoo goes screaming across the water, hell I can't wait.
Yesterday we did find a real small school of sardine's by the multicolored houses in the cove. I caught it on video underwater.
Oh yeah, be prepared for some real hot weather Starting on Sunday it's suppose to be 47 degrees, that's around 116 degrees and there is very little wind. The past couple days it's been around 104/105 and no wind, great for spotting cruising dorado and marlin but tough on the body, drink lot's of water
I should be Hawaiian dark by the time I go home in two weeks

See you soon

Jay