PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks of fishing

tcorfey
06-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Just got back from two weeks of fishing. I covered a lot of ground but here is what I found.

Started out on the Upper Sac by Castle Crags. Spent a day with my two weight casting a yellow stimulator with a Copper John dropper. Secured three fish to 11 inches. water was perfect with most fish coming from casting from the center of the river back along the bank.

Went on up to the McCloud caught some nice fish nymphing with my Tenkara rod above Ash camp and a couple of smaller fish down in Ah-Di-Na above the conservatory. Mornings and evenings were better than mid-day.

Moved on to Hat creek and fished the PH 2 riffle at sunset caught several fish early in the evening nymphing the faster water with my Tenkara rod then switch to a Elk Hare caddis on my 2-wt late when a hatch came off. Bugs were so thick it looked like it was snowing. That was a lot of fun.

Fished Baum lake for one fish on a woolly bugger down by the dam and one on a caddis up by the ph inlet late in the day.

Went over to Fall river with the canoe and caught 3 on a parachute Adams and 1 swinging a olive colored nymph of my own creation. But it was tough fishing in the wind. Four guys in two boats pitching spoons on ultra-light spinning gear were doing quite well.

Fished Pit 3 below the dam and did great with my Tenkara rod 13 feet of leader, one split shot and a bead head PT.

Took a day off and my family came up and we took a canoe trip over to Horr pond. But did not fish.

Tried Burney Creek above the falls one night for nothing. I did see one rise in the big pool but that was it.

From there went up to Ash Creek back into the woods and got several 7-10" rainbows on a parachute ant pattern. That was fun.

Went from there over to Davis lake. Fished Jenkins area for one fish, pretty slow and lots of wind.

Left there to fish the Yuba and started out above Union flat. Got in to a couple of fish nymphing but got a lot more action with a dry dropper combination. The bigger fish I saw seemed to be on the bottom in the deeper pools and they did not seem to want to move. I sat and watched a couple for over a half an hour and that just would sit in front of a rock resting and opening their mouth to feed once in a while. They never moved more than a few inches from their spot while I watched. I did get some excitement in the lower river below Goodyear when I almost stepped on a rattle snake that was on a rock on the edge of the river.

Went up to Gold Lake but it was too windy and fished Snag lake instead. Had some great action with a Caddis dry in the back of the lake, late in the day and that was lots of fun. A friend of mine was slinging a spoon on a spinning rod and he was doing quite well also. Met a couple that was fishing upper Sardine with spinning gear and they showed me some nice pictures of trout they caught up there.

Over all I had a great time and got into some good fish.

The lakes and rivers in the Burney area seem to be in good shape but Eagle, Davis and Frenchman's are quite low on water.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Nice report....thanks.

Bob G
06-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Thank you for the enjoyable journey!

Bob