PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to say thanks to those who donated

Mike O
05-30-2014, 09:20 AM
here are a couple of pics of the kids in action. so far, we have used one of the fly lines for knot practice, as well as the 25lb leader. I am slowly filling the fly boxes, and tomorrow, we pull out the tippet to fill in the leaders from the students tying their first knots... (lots of wastage there.)

I just wanted to say thanks to those who donated. what you have given will go far in teaching my classes to fish. I will post more pictures as we go!

Mike Owens and Jerry Delsol.

Tony Buzolich
05-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Mike,

Those kids look to be high school age. Do you teach this at the HS or with parks and recreation district? My grandson will be going there in a couple of years and I'd to see this kind of program continue..

Let me know what kind of stuff you really NEED to make your class better and I'd like to help.

Good on you,,,, Tony

Lance Gray
05-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Mike,

I have some more stuff. I just placed new lines on all my stuff. The same address is the best to send it?

Thanks

Mike O
05-30-2014, 04:01 PM
TONY - This is Woodland High School. (My son will be here in 3 years too) I teach History and Driver Ed there. The class that I work with (25+ Kids) is part of the Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Academy. It is a class that rotates between Environmental Science and one which is Soil/Plant Science, year to year.

The curriculum used is from the National Fishing in the Schools Program (http://www.fishinginschools.org) and we have been doing this for 3 years now. Mostly what I teach is casting, a little knots, and let the actual teacher of the class teach a little aquatic biology. We both took the training from the NFSP, and the culmination of this unit takes place the day of the final, when we take the students out to Cache Creek and fish for whatever bites, usually Squawfish...oops, I mean Pikeminnow.

We have a lot of what we NEED, but I gladly accept donations of what you don't WANT.,. ;) Flies (nymphs) are in high demand, as they get lost a lot when we go fishing. I also use a lot of tippitt, to make the leaders last longer. I received in donation some fly lines, one of which was sacrificed to learn to tie the improved clinch knot for the line to velcro fly (for the CasTargets we use) because using fly lines is easier than rope and mono for tying knots. I plan to use the indicators I received this year with the nymphs, especially in the slower, deeper parts of the stream.

LANCE - Same address, thank you much.

Mike O
06-05-2014, 09:50 AM
some pictures of the kids actually fishing Cache Creek. The student standing in the stream caught a leech...on his leg.

Mike O
06-05-2014, 09:53 AM
And here is the quarry

Mike O
06-05-2014, 10:32 AM
and these,